Installing / Compiling Stable 2.8 on Debian 10 (Buster) issue with .configure

More
07 Jun 2022 05:07 - 07 Jun 2022 05:26 #244706 by Vector
Hi all, I apologize in advance if this is a bone-headed question, but I'm trying to compile LinuxCNC and have followed instructions from here: linuxcnc.org/docs/master/html/code/building-linuxcnc.html .  I also checked these against the documentation within the git repository at /master/docs/INSTALL.adoc

The answer is I'm probably downloading the wrong repository or looking at the wrong instructions.

Either way, here's my problem. 

These two steps work:
git clone https://github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc.git linuxcnc-dev
cd linuxcnc-dev/src

But then it goes off the rails: both of those docs I mention above suggest the next step is to issue the command:
./autogen.sh

Gives me the following error message:
./autogen.sh: 6: ./autogen.sh: autoconf: not found

And if I try to move on to the next step in the instructions:
./configure --with-realtime=uspace

It just informs me that: 
bash: ./configure: No such file or directory

It looks like there is a script called config.sub, and another called config.guess but I was cautious about jumping to try and use that script instead, given that it also seem autogen is looking for targets inside configure and issuing a touch command depending on what it finds, and at that point I'm getting lost in the fog of what needs to unfold.

There is also a note inside the file configure.ac whose comments say I'm supposed to feed this to autogen... ie, am I supposed to say ./autogen configure.ac  ??

Any help would be great, and thank you all for a great environment.

PS, on my machine, I have a "$" prompt... ie,
user@machineCNC:~/linuxcnc-dev/src$

Am I supposed to be in an interpreter environment or something? Because the documentation is using a ">" prompt. That would be the kind of inexperienced mistake I would make, but I didn't see direction in the documentation to start such an environment. 

PPS: I'm on a Buster system that I upgraded from Stretch. It is an ARM64 Single Board Computer, and it is running a preempt-rt kernel.

PPPS: I did not install git-all, only git.

Thanks again.
Last edit: 07 Jun 2022 05:26 by Vector. Reason: Formatting, again ;-\

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2022 15:37 #244726 by andypugh

./autogen.sh

Gives me the following error message:
[code]./autogen.sh: 6: ./autogen.sh: autoconf: not found

You need the "autotools" package. (and, quite probably, quite a few other things)
sudo apt-get install build-essential autotools-dev

To find the full list of all the other build dependencies that are waiting to trip you up, see:
linuxcnc.org/docs/master/html/code/build...g-Build-Dependencies
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vector

More
08 Jun 2022 06:51 #244754 by Vector
Thanks again for everyone's quick response.

I guess, doink, I was expecting the fail after the first line, not the first line. Doh. I'd seen that set of documentation, but didn't think it was relevant yet.

Sheepishly slinking away to run dpkg-checkbuilddeps...

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds