Install 2.9 on MX21 in VM?

More
08 Jul 2022 23:51 #246922 by spumco
I'd like to install a non-RT version of 2.9 on a virtual machine for some testing.

Prefer not to do a RIP, but a regular installation.  Is this possible, and if so can someone point me to some directions?

Still not super Linux-savvy, despite fooling around with it over the past year.

Thx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jul 2022 12:10 #247009 by Todd Zuercher
You can install it the same way as you would if installing on a regular machine including the rt. It just won't have good latency. Or install it on a regular kernel using the U-space debs. This will default to simulation if it doesn't detected real-time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: spumco

More
10 Jul 2022 18:37 - 10 Jul 2022 18:49 #247032 by spumco
Replied by spumco on topic Install 2.9 on MX21 in VM?
[EDIT - figured it out]

Figured out if I just boot to the non-rt kernerl LCNC figures out it's in sim mode.  No more latency warnings, working OK so far.

Thanks much for the reply.
Last edit: 10 Jul 2022 18:49 by spumco.

More
22 Jan 2023 20:12 #262674 by Doug @ Design8Studio.com
Hey, I'm a newbie with Linux. How do you boot to a non-rt kernel?

I'm trying to get a VM testing setup working. I got Linux Buster installed, with LinuxCNC ISO, and updated LinuxCNC from 2.8 to 2.10 to match my live, working setup.

Whenever I try to run a SIM version of QTPlasmaC, I get all kinds of errors, shown below:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/qt5_graphics.py", line 763, in initializeGL
    self.object = self.makeObject()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/qt5_graphics.py", line 1120, in makeObject
    genList = GL.glGenLists(1)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/OpenGL/platform/baseplatform.py", line 402, in __call__
    return self( *args, **named )
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/OpenGL/error.py", line 232, in glCheckError
    baseOperation = baseOperation,
OpenGL.error.GLError: GLError(
    err = 1280,
    description = b'invalid enumerant',
    baseOperation = glGenLists,
    cArguments = (1,),
    result = 1
)

More
22 Jan 2023 22:40 #262683 by tommylight
@Doug,
No double posting.
Thank you.

More
23 Jan 2023 13:11 #262741 by Todd Zuercher
I'm not sure. I run simulations all the time in a VM. Yes, it will give real time alarm messages, but those don't prevent Linuxcnc from opening and running for me. However I don't and haven't tried to run QTPlasmaC. I don't have a plasma machine. So it is possible that might be preventing running in a non real time environment, but I really don't know.

More
23 Jan 2023 13:35 #262745 by tommylight
QtPlasmaC will not run without using Phill's install script for QtVCP on any other Linux except the Official release, i think.
forum.linuxcnc.org/qtvcp/38414-installing-qtvcp

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds