Installing LinuxCNC 2.9 or Master on Linux Mint 21

More
04 Feb 2023 22:22 #263719 by cmorley

tommylight post=263286 userid=17274Updated original post as this no longer works due to Python versions.
If anything changes, i will update again.

It looks to me that the python dependency is based on the system that made the deb.
I tried to make a deb on a lower python version but something failed with translations.
Linuxcnc seems to be getting harder :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2023 23:43 #263727 by tommylight
Python, QT, Wayland, what's next? :)
At one point in time, the buildbot version of LinuxCNC required Python under 3.6 and over 3.9 at the same time! I am sure i posted about that here somewhere, it is astonishing how much mess Python 3.n has made, with everything, not just with LinuxCNC.
I did waste quite some time trying to figure out how to make an appimage for LinuxCNC, from experience with plenty of apps in that format, they do work perfectly, no installation, no dependencies as everything is included, etc etc, but the tutorials online are useless and copied/pasted from the same source, information's are all about what i do not need, and none mention dependencies. Or my search-fu has failed miserably.
This would have been the best solution as it would run on almost anything, just download, make executable, run.
And since uspace version works as sim if there is no real time kernel, all would be good with the world! :)
Need realtime? Install kernel.
-
Before anyone takes off at a tangent, no "snaps" and no "flatpak", but definitely NO SNAPS! Flatpak is bearable, somehow, maybe.

More
04 Feb 2023 23:44 #263728 by tommylight

I tried to make a deb on a lower python version but something failed with translations.

Try it with --no-docs
Usually that works and takes much less time to compile.

More
05 Feb 2023 18:49 #263765 by cmorley
I can see no obvious way to adjust the debian deb build process. I changed the generated compiling command directly and it failed in some other translation way.

More
07 Feb 2023 07:00 #263900 by rodw
./configure in the debian folder takes arguments. try ./configure help (or --help) There is a nodocs setting somewhere. Just not sure of the syntax

More
07 Feb 2023 07:11 #263901 by cmorley
great thanks - I'll try that.

More
19 Feb 2023 03:34 #264790 by dberndt
Is there some obvious solution I'm missing? Am I swimming against the current for no reason? Would running Debian version ?? make my linuxcnc life better and prevent me from being assaulted by python versions in future? Should we all just go back to building from source? Some other solution?

I just slowly moved to a new PC and OS because of a quite outdated python situation and I was just about to mount it into the control cabinet and moving from pre0 to pre1 has hit the python road-bump again.

More
19 Feb 2023 03:41 #264791 by tommylight
Yeah, Debian is the way now as it is officially in their repos, not sure when Bookworm comes out but it can be downloaded and used.
RodW has a good tutorial for it, i think, been spaced out lately so not "Mr Current affairs" right now.

More
19 Feb 2023 10:37 #264800 by rodw
I heard that Tommy!
The reason why I left Buster and the linuxcnc ISO behind over 12 months ago was to get away from  confusion with Python versions....
Then the package got to Bookworm so I've been playing outside the sandpit ever since.
But then I get caught with the error finishing read issue on all my hardware that had
So today been playing with Armbian and tonight will tell if I have nailed a preempt-rt build for an Odroid N2+
Bookworm with the 6.2 kernel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, my1987toyota

More
10 Mar 2023 16:41 - 10 Mar 2023 16:41 #266303 by my1987toyota
So what is the best mainstream Debian version to go with for stability as of 3-10-2023?
Last edit: 10 Mar 2023 16:41 by my1987toyota. Reason: correcting spelling

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds