Asus Prime A520M-K No X Window system

More
05 Aug 2022 16:23 #249128 by Todd Zuercher
I believe most non Nvidia cards work fine without screwing up real time. Most onboard graphics are usually ok as well. Nvidia drivers often are a problem with real time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2022 17:03 #249134 by ChathamDaleJ
At this point in order to preserve my sanity I'm thinking of installing on a Raspberry Pi 4 8GB. Will the Pi keep up?

I have tried installing LinuxCNC on three video cards and the onboard video. None run X after the install.

I have also tried to install Fedora 36, Ubuntu 22.04 and Debian 11.4.0. None ran X after the install. All installs including LinuxCNC were using the graphics install.

One non-LinuxCNC install ran X during the install in 2189 mode.

Currently running a memory test, but it has shown no errors in two passes, working on the last two now.

I had LinuxCNC running on this motherboard last September. After that is was powered down until recently.

Perhaps a bad motherboard?

More
05 Aug 2022 17:14 #249135 by tommylight

I have tried installing LinuxCNC on three video cards and the onboard video. None run X after the install.

First, check the MD5SUM of the downloaded file.
Next, check the written image to USB, after writing it>unplugging>plugging back. Some failing USB drives will cause such issues. Easiest, use another USB.
Last, change the motherboard.

More
06 Aug 2022 16:08 #249211 by ChathamDaleJ
I managed to get LinuxCNC 2.8.2 to install and run, but without X. The three graphics cards I have laying around are NVidia cards and I suspect the drivers have to be downloaded and insalled for them. Either way, the realtime kernel is apparently less than fond of them.

I have ordered this card: smile.amazon.com/dp/B006V2IZ30?psc=1&ref...dt_b_product_details a Radion 6350 card. We will see how that goes this afternoon.

For what it is worth, the ISO image for Raspberry Pi will not boot on my Pi 4.

The cost to go to Mach4 is about $800, Windows 10 + Mach4 + a new stepper driver interface card. I had LinuxCNC running with my Sherline Mill a year ago, so sticking with that hardware/software is not only a lot cheaper, but perhaps a bit less traumatic (though after this goat rope, the jury is out).

More
07 Aug 2022 15:22 #249278 by elovalvo

For what it is worth, the ISO image for Raspberry Pi will not boot on my Pi 4.

What kind of Raspberry do you have?

What ISO image did you use?

More
07 Aug 2022 18:33 #249295 by ChathamDaleJ
Raspberry Pi 4
The image downloaded from the linuxCNC download page

More
07 Aug 2022 18:37 #249296 by ChathamDaleJ
Motherboard (although still being sold) has a Radeon graphics card too old to be supported by Debian 10 distro, or any repo that installs with it. Going to AMD to download yielded that it was too old to be supported by AMD.

Bought new Radeon card. It is too new to be supported in Debian 10 insalled libraries and repos.

But, it works in 1080 mode, which is good enough for now. I'm hoping that the next release of LinuxCNC will support it directly.

Thanks for the help!

More
08 Aug 2022 06:27 - 08 Aug 2022 06:29 #249322 by elovalvo

Raspberry Pi 4
The image downloaded from the linuxCNC download page 

To find out what type of Raspberry you have, you need to run this command from the terminal

cat /sys/firmware/devicetree/base/model

Try the 64-bit version 2.9.0pre which you can find at this link
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...cnc?start=130#238020
Last edit: 08 Aug 2022 06:29 by elovalvo.

More
08 Aug 2022 08:37 #249330 by arvidb

Motherboard (although still being sold) has a Radeon graphics card too old to be supported by Debian 10 distro

Can you explain again what hardware you have? I tried to look into this but there seems to be no such thing as a "Radeon HD 5880" graphics card. There's a Radeon HD 5870, released in 2009 (which still has active support in the kernel BTW). And the AMD A520 chipset doesn't seem to have any kind of built-in graphics at all - but it does support AMD "APUs", i.e. CPUs with built-in graphics.

I general, support for old hardware does not get removed from the linux kernel once it's in there - that's one of the great things about Linux: it doesn't force you to buy new hardware on updates, with very few exceptions.

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds