Dual Booting UEFI Win11+LinuxCNC

More
31 Aug 2022 18:20 #250876 by hoffb77
From what Im reading the only distros that will dual boot with Windows11 (out of the box) is Fedora and Ubuntu. Usually I switch to legacy mode in BIOS but this hardware and firmware setup on my Asus laptop is not optional.

I was curious if anyone has worked around this using alternate methods. 

I see the Team has made great progress with LinuxCNC installing into many different distributions and my issue may become a non-issue soon.

Thanks

Ben

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2022 19:50 #250883 by tommylight
I am afraid there are more bad news on that front as the AMD presentation showed Pluton as the next microsoft crap for preventing other operating systems runing on new PC's.
Strangely, Intel refused it this time.
Even more strange, micros$#t is working on it's own version of Linux, windows uses a lot of Linux code since the networking part that was shoehorned in Win2k, but still they keep doing this kind of cr@p.
It is mindboggling ...
And to top it all, microsoft pays a lot of money to Nowel for the rights to use open source code, they also finance some open source projects through some financial hoops, they use Linux on their own servers but are hell bent on preventing everyone else from using it.

More
01 Sep 2022 03:58 #250907 by rodw

From what Im reading the only distros that will dual boot with Windows11 (out of the box) is Fedora and Ubuntu. Usually I switch to legacy mode in BIOS but this hardware and firmware setup on my Asus laptop is not optional.

I was curious if anyone has worked around this using alternate methods. 

I see the Team has made great progress with LinuxCNC installing into many different distributions and my issue may become a non-issue soon.

Thanks

Ben

I've got a feeling that the later versions of debian (Bullseye 11 and Bookworm 12) handle UEFI perfectly (well they do for me). I have no Idea about the dual booting though. I would have thought UEFI is a function of the kernel, not the flavour of Linux so if the kernel is late enough, it will work.

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds