How to Install LinuxCNC in Cinnamon 4.8.6

More
20 Sep 2022 21:03 #252444 by OskarXYZ
I have been using Mach3 since 2008 and I want to learn Linuxcnc. My Linux desktop PC has Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon 4.8.6.Where can I get the appropriate Linuxcnc download?(There are few on the web but not sure which one is for my system. Also in this forum there is a thread for installing Linuxcnc for MX Linux 19.4 but I don’t know what MX Linux is).Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
More
22 Sep 2022 02:36 #252546 by OskarXYZ
Many thanks for the help, I’m quite lost so far but I didn’t give up yet. So from all the links I got I decided to download the “LinuxCNC 2.8.2 Debian 10 buster PREEMPT-RT.ISO” which I got it into a dvd and now I have the linuxcnc in my desktop with a window open saying “axis.ngc- AXIS 2.8.2-11-g6a3d0a434 on None”.I also got the PDF Users Guide 208 pages which I plan to print and read. The questions I have:

My Linux OS is “Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon 4.8.6”, is the LinuxCNC 2.8.2 Debian 10 buster I downloaded the right one?

In a reply I got from you one of the downloads which seems better for me is the
“Mint 20, forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc…nearly-easy-install” but when I go there it says not to ask any questions because this is a Beta version.

So again I like to know if the Debian 10 buster download is the good one for my system. If not can you please tell me which one to get?

Nicolas
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
22 Sep 2022 12:02 #252563 by tommylight
The OS in the ISO is Debian Buster or 10, LinuxCNC is the software for machine control that is included in that ISO.
Debian, Mint, MX, Ubuntu, Depin, PopOS, are all Linux operating systems and as such have nothing to do with machine control, hence the statement not to ask questions about machine stuff on their forums.
Mint allowed us to use and distribute their OS with LinuxCNC included with the only condition not to ask machine questions there.
This was made possible by Chris and the Mint comunity. Thank you goes to all of them.
-
Now you have Linux Debian 10 Buster with LinuxCNC version 2.8.2, so when posting here that should be the first thing to point out. It is the official release so plenty of members can help with anything and everything.
Now, start LinuxCNC from the menu, choose a config on the right side that has SIM in the name and play around with it as it works with no hardware attached.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OskarXYZ

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds