help install linuxcnc 2.8 on linux mint 21

More
01 Jan 2023 17:24 - 01 Jan 2023 17:32 #260716 by Ismacr63
Hello, I've been testing linuxcnc 2.9 on linux mint 21, but andy's macros in gmoccapy don't work for me, so I would like to be able to install linuxcnc 2.8 on linux mint to be able to use the macros.

I have been trying to install it but I have not been successful and I was wondering if someone on the forum could help me install it.

Thanks a lot. Greetings.
Last edit: 01 Jan 2023 17:32 by Ismacr63.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2023 13:24 - 02 Jan 2023 13:37 #260764 by Muzzer
My last update was to 2.8 and Mint 20. I managed to get it all running with both Axis and gmoccapy (and Probe Basic Lathe) but I was unable to get Andy's macros working in any of them. I seem to recall he uses a different GUI, so didn't claim they would work elsewhere. I got them to show up in gmoccapy but I couldn't get them to actually work. It seems the Python updates screwed everything up. The install and setup process for 2.8 was a more of a trial for me than I'd expected, so I'm not really in a position to offer any help or experience I'm afraid - all I can say is that I got there in the end with help from some of the resident experts here!

As noted recently, Linux updates frequently, often leaving the LinuxCNC GUI developers exposed to unexpected issues they are hard pushed to resolve either technically and / or due to bandwidth, the Python changes being one example. As I have almost zero capability in this area, I've sort of come to accept that my current installation is probably best left alone. Until / unless there is a stable, inclusive release of one of the GUIs with Andy's macros functioning, I will stick with what I've got for now. That's certainly no criticism of the incredible work coming out of this community.

If anyone manages to get a stable, simple(!) install of one of the later LinuxCNC releases that also implements a GUI such as gmoccapy, Probe Basic Lathe or Axis, I'll have a go at updating or creating a fresh installation on a new SSD, leaving my current system as it is.

EDIT - it seems Andy has been busy with the macros recently but I hadn't noticed . I may be tempted to have another go at getting them working with gmoccapy initially. Fingers crossed!
Last edit: 02 Jan 2023 13:37 by Muzzer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ismacr63

More
02 Jan 2023 13:58 #260766 by Ismacr63
I have managed to make the macros appear in gmocappy with linux mint 21 and linuxcnc 2.9 (don't ask me how) but they don't work. hopefully it can be fixed.

More
09 Jan 2023 15:36 #261358 by Muzzer
Sounds as if we have both arrived at the same place. Perhaps the best place to continue this is in the macros thread.
forum.linuxcnc.org/41-guis/26550-lathe-macros?start=360
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ismacr63

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds