My setup part 1

More
30 Mar 2023 11:25 #267904 by Drillbit
My setup part 1 was created by Drillbit
Note sure of the right place but would like to share a few items that caused me issues with others. I got so much help from others wanted to give something back. I will split this updates over a few posts as I find time.

Adding a Vevor VFD spindle to a Taig mill.

As the motor from Taig is not compliant in Europe you have to source one yourself. So why not put in a spindle instead.
I dont have a tool shop so needed a solution that could be made easy and at the same time would allow for adjustments. 

Went with the square spindle as the round spindles would make the bracket that is much wider than the taig plate.
Went with aircooled for no reason.
If the spindle is off center, I have 8 screws I can use to add shims to move back or forth.
The new plates are slightly large than the screws so I can tap sideways to align. 

Observations:
The spindle is heavy and I used a 180W. Ideally I should have got one that had a 'stop' i.e on power off it locks. So far its been ok and it does not move down on its own.

I installed it low, ideally I should just use the lower 3 holes to give me more clearance. In other words the spindle sits higher. So far its ok as I'm using tiny mills 3mm and smaller.

The temperate for long runs is about 38c. at the spindle and is not impacting on the machines operation, the air gap (see below) might be helping here.

To control the Spindle I used a 3 wires from the Mesa board, using the diagrams below, From PCWs previous comment.
7I96S SPINDLE- --> GND
7I96S SPINDLE OUT --> 5V_IN
7I96S SPINDLE+ --> --5V_OUT

Problems:
As the taps are not perfectly aligned between the new plates, they don't touch the plate well. Not sure if that can be solved by me but I'm getting no vibrations. In other words the two new plates have a small gap to the mill. The gap is the distance where a screw tread end does not line up with the tread in the start of the taig. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: andypugh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds