Which real time kernel is best for bookworm and Mesa 7i96s

More
01 Apr 2023 00:28 - 01 Apr 2023 00:42 #268000 by SmoggyTurnip
I have installed Debian Bookworm on my new Beelink mini S computer. It is the only distro that I could get my 1920x1080 monitor working on.

typing "uname -a" in  the terminal gives the following result:

Linux LinuxCNC 6.1.0-7-rt-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_RT Debian 6.1.20-1 (2023-03-19) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Reading this page: gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/debian-12-emc.html,
I am led to believe that I should not be using the kernel that I have.
That page suggest I get a different page and provides the following link:

"If you’re using a Mesa Ethernet card the 5.10.x kernel works the best. Download the kernel from  here"

All of the choices for sources given for the kernel on that page are for Debian Bullseye not Bookworm.

I am confused, what should I do.

I did not receive my Mesa card yet - it is in the mail so I am just trying to get ready for it.
Last edit: 01 Apr 2023 00:42 by SmoggyTurnip. Reason: Just elaborating a bit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2023 00:50 #268002 by tommylight
Wait for your card, set it up and plug it in, then if you do get issues see what next.
In the meantime, use one of the many included sims to get used to LinuxCNC, those work with no hardware attached, so you can open gcode and watch on screen how it would be milled/cut/3d printed if it was attached to hardware.

More
01 Apr 2023 06:25 #268009 by rodw
My understanding of your PC is that its a fairly new design so the older Debian Buster kernel used by the official Linuxcnc ISO will not wotk for you.
You should try Bookworm by following my guide here.
docs.google.com/document/d/1jeV_4VKzVmOI...diY/edit?usp=sharing 

More
01 Apr 2023 10:31 #268013 by tommylight
He has BookWorm installed.

More
02 Apr 2023 09:31 #268057 by rodw

He has BookWorm installed.

I wuld not use the 5.10 kernel any longer. You are bound to get in a mess mixing bullseye stuff with Bookworm
I would stick to the default debian bookworm kernel (6.1)
Do not change the kernel unless you get latency or error finishing read errors when you actually connected to mesa hardware
The next step would be to install a custom kernel compiled from the source at kernel.org. I have shared debs for this on the forum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds