Best LinuxCNC version for parallel port ?

More
09 Aug 2023 09:51 #277413 by stefan63
I probably will get the "get a MESA" card answer but that is not what want. 
Parallel port installation is still today the cheapest way to run LinuxCNC on amachin that not require high performance figures.
So the question is what combo of  (Linux vesion+ kernel version+LinuxCNC version) will perform best on a old core2duo? 
If I can stretch to a Core i5 with paraport will that be any gain in performance?

Kind regards/Stefan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Aug 2023 10:19 #277416 by cornholio
I'd go for the i5.
I found a Lenovo M72e by the side of the road with a G2020 (I think) swapped that out for a Quad Core i5 and can run with a base thread about of 30000 using Bookworm and a debian PREEMPT kernel, isolcpus=2,3.

Whilst the computer does have a on board Parallel port you need the Lenovo cable to get it to come up in the BIOS. Some trickery involved that I haven't looked into.

I honestly think, based on experience you're really going to want a RTAI kernel if you want to use the old core2duo. I still have 1 or 2 floating around.

Another option is:
github.com/multigcs/LinuxCNC-RIO/tree/main

Whilst it does run with a RPi via an spi it can be run over ethernet with a PC. I've been playing around with this myself for my lathe with a RPi-400. The mill has the MESA treatment.

More
09 Aug 2023 12:40 #277430 by tommylight
Download the Wheezy ISO from the downloads page, and maybe add memory to at least 2GB, it works as is and has good latency on older PC's.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stefan63

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds