Installation failures using normal install and imager-1.7.5

More
15 Aug 2023 16:55 #278051 by poptops
Trying to get a successfull install of linuxcnc on RPi4B-8GB.
I have tried linuxcnc-2.8.4-buster and 2.8.0-buster.
Each using imager-1.7.5 to a 32GB SDHC card.  Imager settings are default.  New 32GB SD each time.  Different Laptop used each time.
Result is "This board requires newer software".  Continuous reboots.  ( You have seen this before.)
What I am questioning is the odd image size on the SD card which results for each install.
Linuxcnc-2.8.0-buster downloads a 2.1GB zip file which shrinks to 29.9MB on the SD card. And the SD card capacity shrinks to 252MB.
If this is as wrong as it seem then what is causing things to go haywire?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2023 22:31 #278090 by rodw
Could you try this method? I don't think the 8 Gb memory is a restriction any more but don't have one to test.
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.9/html/getting-start...etting-linuxcnc.html
If you need to upgrade this to a later Linuxcnc version, the only option is to build from source due to lack of buildbots for the Pi making Debs.
Note that its been reported  access to GPIO is broken due to the non standrard way Linuxcnc used to access GPIO. Its been fixed in later versions so building from source is required.

More
17 Aug 2023 18:48 - 18 Aug 2023 00:53 #278293 by poptops
 The following is on Rpi4B-4GB.  (the aforementioned fail was on both 8GB and 4GB Pis. )
As you suggested.  
(Beginning with  linuxcnc.org/docs/2.9/html  section 3 “install Debian Bookworm on a Raspberry Pi)   
Downloaded the Debain 12 bookworm compressed file titled rasp-4-bookworm.img.xz.

Used imager on freshly reformatted SD to burn zipped bookworm Ssuccessfully.
Here are some oddities that happened en route.....
After “apt update” .... 4 warnings..  see attached
After “apt upgrade” .... 2 error reports:
and later 
E: Unable to locate package task-xfce-desktop
and finally... startx command not found
so after my first Linux lesson, I rebooted and it came up: 
Debian GNU/Linux 12-.....and I logged in
It gave me a few gripes I think can be ignored: “ journal out of date...., Journal header limits reached....

So have we got a foundation here or a mess?
Corrections, redo, or continue to sections 5, 1 and 7.

I have been using LinuxCNC for 10 years and the old console gave up on me.  Really hope this gets me back to the machine.
Tnx for sharing your knowledge.  This stuff's hard.

adding....
E:  Unable to locate package task-xfce-desktop
seems to be the show stopper.   I never got the mentioned request for input (kbd layout/lang). and did not boot to a gui. 
Can you point to the missing element such that I could still load it?

Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Aug 2023 00:53 by poptops.

More
18 Aug 2023 08:15 #278333 by rodw
can you try 
sudo apt install tasksel
sudo tasksel
And select xfce there or another alternative.
It is odd because we tested the method shown in the docs after Bookworm was released.

More
18 Aug 2023 11:13 #278348 by tommylight
No internet connection or network not configured.
Can not update, so nothing will install .
It clearly says "can not connect to debian servers" or similar.

More
19 Aug 2023 01:58 #278435 by poptops
Rod/Tommy, completed the install of Debian Bookworm on the RPi4/4GB <linuxcnc.org/docs/2.9/html/getting-start...etting-linuxcnc.html>
Everything went perfect and it booted up to a fabulous GUI.
Two things:
1) The screen flickered as mentioned by others only when the mouse was just off the bottom of the screen.
2) I did a shutdown from the pull down menu and the desktop & Pi shut down properly then I removed the power jack to shut it down....and that was the last time I get to see the desktop. 7 green blinks + 2 sec pause, repeat.
I plugged it back in and no desktop ever came back.
There is no terminal access, so whatever is next probably starts with a clean SD card.

Your continued direction is appreciated.

More
19 Aug 2023 09:05 #278449 by rodw
It really sounds like a hardware fault so I can't advise. Try on a fresh SD card. I have never experienced a flickering screen. From what I have seen in Google a few times, its usually a power supply fault (not enough!)

More
19 Aug 2023 21:22 - 19 Aug 2023 21:27 #278500 by poptops
This install was repeated using a fresh 32GB SD card with identical results.
Two problems: I am not looking for help on #1. Just want to post it for collective intelligence.
1) the display shows what looks like static and is similar to a problem reported in another thread where the suggested cause was the HDMI cable quality (can't find it now).
Problem: a full width horiz (static like) display distortion in a vertical band stretching from mid screen to the bottom. It does not occur spontaneously, rather only when the mouse is vertically coincident with the “five icon graphic menu” at the bottom of the screen. Moving the mouse in this vertical space generates the interference. Also, if you change to any other display format the problem is still adjacent to the now larger icon array height and the interference is still from midscreen down.

I'm a hardware guy but can't relate this more precisely with no idea of the architecture but I agree with you that it has to do with the Pi. Not at all to do with the cable or monitor.

This #2 problem I need some help on.
On the first install the display went black screen after selecting desktop “shutdown”. This time I selected “Restart”, same result (more detail above).
Has anybody encountered this ?
Has amybody successfully installed the Debian Bookworm on Pi script :  	[url]https://raspi.debian.net/daily-images/[/url]
In the interim, 
I will install it again without the firmware changes to see what happens.
Last edit: 19 Aug 2023 21:27 by poptops.

More
19 Aug 2023 21:33 #278502 by rodw
#1 could be the cable. I have a couple of displayport to hdmi cables on  a desktop PC . They work on windows but one of them does not work under linux.

#2 I can't help with. I wrote the docs you are following and I have never experienced a non booting pi like that. It would be interesting to stop the install at the CLI prompt and see if it fails then the same way. Then install xfce and se eif it fails then. then after adding preempt-rt and so on

If you get failures with plain vanilla stuff without preempt-rt, Perhaps log an issue with debian

I just thought, I was working with Debian 12.0 and now 12.1 is out. I wonder if the daily builds  have been broken?

More
21 Aug 2023 23:24 #278656 by poptops
Ran two more test.
3. Eliminated both Nano edits:  Would then boot to XFCE desktop after shutdown.
4. Eliminated only the second edit (disable_overscan=1  &   dtparam=audio=off)
It again boots to Xfce following shutdown.  

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds