Linuxcnc build requirements for RTAI kernel

More
28 Feb 2024 10:07 - 28 Feb 2024 10:11 #294682 by Mecanix
I had a spare Core Duo and so I installed the RTAI kernel (5.4.258) and the relevant module (5.4.258_5.3.3), then proceeded to installing the pre-built linuxcnc_2.9.2_amd64.deb. Long story short; I should have done that long time ago. Day and night performance against the uspace version. If like myself you hold on to parport interfaced controllers, imho RTAI's the only way forward.

My question though is what sort of requirement(s) and steps are needed to built Linuxcnc for RTAI? Mind you, the pre-built linuxcnc_2.9.2_amd64.deb is perfectly fine as-is, however it lacks a whole lot of latest 2.9.2 fixes and patches. Is it just a matter of compiling it on the RATI kernel? Anything fancy and/or voodoo we need to know?

Help!
Last edit: 28 Feb 2024 10:11 by Mecanix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Feb 2024 11:54 #294765 by Mecanix
Reason I asked for pointers before experiencing is because I don't want to clutter this clean install with the endless dependencies and what not.

Am I dreaming this up or am really the only one claiming RTAI being worldssssss greater than uspace for parport comm? Come on now, what more one needs for 3 slow steppies and 3 dumb analog switches that shares one input... which in reality is 95% of the cases out there (/exaggeration). Why is RTAI not the popular defacto mega cool build-of-all Linuxcnc?

Seriously? Nobody ever built this awesome controller?

More
29 Feb 2024 13:09 #294768 by tommylight
These are all my views:
-RTAI is being phased out as there is no need for it
-replaced by RT Preempt as it does everything, almost
-RTAI can not do ethernet machine control
-RTAI had issues with graphic drivers
-RTAI had issues with power saving stuff and would keep processors at max speed always
-RT Preempt has very good latency on new PC's
-RT Preempt works with parallel port
-i love parallel port, still use it, still advise others to use it
-add on parallel ports have issues, some are dummy software emulated ports so do not work for machine control, makes choosing one a cr@p shoot
-a member of this forum is still working on it, he is a kernel developer, but for Gento Linux, so a quick search for "gento rtai linuxcnc" should find his topic.
-and i do understand your enthusiasm about it, on older PC's using RTAI goes from unusable to very usable.
-what did i forget? :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mecanix

More
29 Feb 2024 13:31 #294772 by Mecanix
You forgot that it performs SIGNIFICANTLY better than anything else I've ever tried (RT Preempt lcnc, mach3, mach 4, uscnc). WINNER, in other words (for parport interface anyway).

Don't get me wrong I also use the RT Preempt for a hardworking fpga and that has its Top Winning Class on its own, wouldn't use anything else.

Fact remains that RTAI MUST LIVE, regardless of the fact that RT preempt only works on supercomputers. Thanks for the "gento rtai linuxcnc" heads up, I'll do my research and get it done eventually.

In a meantime if anyone of you has pointers as to how to begin with this build-wise I'd appreciate it.

More
29 Feb 2024 13:39 #294773 by Mecanix
$ wget https://www.linuxcnc.org/dists/bookworm/base/binary-amd64/linux-image-5.4.258-rtai-amd64_5.4.258-rtai-amd64-2_amd64.deb
$ wget https://www.linuxcnc.org/dists/bookworm/base/binary-amd64/rtai-modules-5.4.258_5.3.3-linuxcnc-delta_amd64.deb
$ wget https://www.linuxcnc.org/dists/bookworm/2.9-rt/binary-amd64/linuxcnc_2.9.2_amd64.deb

$ dpkg -i linux-image-5.4.258-rtai-amd64_5.4.258-rtai-amd64-2_amd64.deb
$ dpkg -i rtai-modules-5.4.258_5.3.3-linuxcnc-delta_amd64.deb
$ dpkg -i linuxcnc_2.9.2_amd64.deb
$ sudo apt-get -f install

$ sudo apt install grub-customizer
and move the one-and-only BEST and awesome RTAI kernel up to the top of the list where it belong! 

$ sudo reboot
$ echo "fuck yeah! it finally works."
The following user(s) said Thank You: wolfram

More
29 Feb 2024 13:45 #294775 by tommylight
Andy was maintaing RTAI and the RTAI version of LinuxCNC, it is still in use and documented on the Downloads page.
Would be nice if you can lend a hand to both of them, thank you.
-
Not important, but i had a Fujitsu-Siemens workstation with 2 of 4 core Xeons that did reliably run with 15000 base period. That is over 50kHz on all pins.
Some machines i build can do with 300000 base period as they move at max 3m/m, drives directly by 16 tooth GT2 pulleys.
It all depends on what is needed for a certain job, back when i started "helping" on cncforum i got tired of comments like "linuxcnc is useless as it demands good latency" and "linuxcnc complains about latency while mach3 just works", got tired of explaining that mach3 does not care it just skips whatever it can show down the parallel port.
At the very least, LinuxCNC had the decency of informing about it.

More
29 Feb 2024 13:56 - 29 Feb 2024 14:00 #294776 by Mecanix
20000 base period here, velocity 50, accel 300. And that's on some ToysRus stepper drives set to 2500 steps/ on 5mm pitch screws. Ice-age year 1832 era Core Duo, imagine. Just speechless.

Try only half-that with RT preempt. Good luck with the endless err MSG popping up top and bottom...
Last edit: 29 Feb 2024 14:00 by Mecanix.

More
29 Feb 2024 15:31 - 29 Feb 2024 15:34 #294780 by Mecanix
Me may have spoken highly way too quick. Endless fookin around... this forum needs a Hall of Shame section @admins.

Decided to go have a coffee in the garage, warming up the spindle at 500R, plan was to have half a dozen tools measured...

Kernel/everything jams up, machine on its own, estop case. Giving up./ For Sale

Last edit: 29 Feb 2024 15:34 by Mecanix.

More
29 Feb 2024 15:34 #294781 by tommylight
I can do that on RT kernel, on a PC that cost over 1100 Euro about 3 or 4 years back, without graphic card.
But that is an exeption, hence i refrain from mentioning it except when someone here asks.
I also have core2duos running machines with RTAI kernel and parallel port, plenty of them.
Might seem i am trying to skip RTAI, but i am not, i am using it and will be using it for a long time, i also have some PCI to parallel add on cards, so i am with you, i would hate to see it gone.
Thank you for insisting on that not happening.

forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-linuxcnc-q...ich-are-out?start=10

github.com/NTULINUX/RTAI/blob/master/README.INSTALL
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mecanix

More
29 Feb 2024 15:43 #294783 by Mecanix

Thank you for insisting on that not happening.

forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-linuxcnc-q...ich-are-out?start=10

github.com/NTULINUX/RTAI/blob/master/README.INSTALL

Aw man, that's awesome. I'll update shortly. Thanks, Tommy

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds