userid / password for live

More
18 Mar 2024 00:29 #296162 by cncjerry
I downloaded 2.9.2-AMD.hybrid.iso.  No idea why, but it took several boots to get it to display a login screen.  Prior to that, all blank screens no matter what I tried.  Once I got the login, I searched and saw people recommended user for the userid and live for the password.  I search more, tried combos of those with and without a password,etc,  can't get in.  As far as I know, it never got into the system.  I have it installed on an SSD bootable harddrive and that shouldn't matter.

So I give up, what is the userid and password and why?

thanks,

jerry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2024 00:44 #296164 by cornholio
The live session just boots straight to the desktop, no login is required.
If you went through the installation process you created the user, you chose the username and you chose the password.
It’s only the raspberry pi images that require a password and user name.

With the iso you followed the instructions from the documentation for 2.9.2 ?
If not I suggest reading the docs.

More
18 Mar 2024 00:51 #296165 by cornholio
As to why a user name and password, well that’s just the why Linux works.
It also prevents Little Johnny starting computer and removing bits and pieces of himself or worse messing up your setup.
Tho it can be setup to auto login, but that is covered elsewhere. But the system still running as a user with password.
A lot of info can be found by reading through the thread of Rodw’s announcement.

More
18 Mar 2024 07:17 #296176 by cncjerry
Replied by cncjerry on topic userid / password for live
I dont know how I screwed up the image on the usb drive, but reloading it from scratch fixed it. I still have issues that I guess can't be fixed. I read the maximum pulses per second is 16,129. Given all my axises are a little over 40,000 steps per inch, max IPM I can get is (16,129 X 60) / 40000 is around 24IPM. I am running faster than that, I can get at least 60IPM out of this older PC that is failing. I that 16,129 for steppers not servos? I thought I read where a gecko G320 needs around 5us pulse length. That would be around 100k pulses per second. Is there someplace where you set the pulse length or is that the base period?

Cornholio, you've given me a lot of help and I really appreciate it. I've tried 4 different PCs now and they go from bad to worse. That old PC i was using seemed to work the best out of all of them but i don't think I can get it running reliably.

Thanks again.

More
18 Mar 2024 08:02 #296179 by cornholio
You say that you read this here or read that there. Without a link to the source it makes absolutely no sense.
Whilst I could cover stepper timings and such here you will still have questions. Please take some time to read the HTML docs that can be found on the main linuxcnc site. The devs have spent a lot of time writing these and they cover a lot.
Also regarding the gecko devices that info should be available in the data sheets for Gecko.

More
18 Mar 2024 15:07 #296209 by cornholio
Hang on you want to run your servos at 2,400,000 rpm ?
That’s 40,000 steps per inch @ 60 ipm ?

Are you taking the mick ?

More
18 Mar 2024 16:00 #296215 by cncjerry
Replied by cncjerry on topic userid / password for live
Divide that by 1000, the count per rev of the encoder. Its 40rpm per IPM with 4:1 timing belt gears and 10:1 leadscrew.

More
18 Mar 2024 16:16 #296220 by cornholio
Mate you clearly said your axis were ~40,000 steps per inch.

Your math above doesn’t quite make sense.

I give up.

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds