Run in Place Install

More
29 Mar 2024 13:08 #297103 by FlaredFins
Im trying to do a run in place install, and am having issues with dependencies. I'm just curious is there a way to install the missing dependencies without having to install each one individually? Looks to be about 18 issues. I tried it on an Old mac book pro running Linux Mint Debian Edition and now Im trying on a different laptop with plain Linux Mint Cinamon.
Was also wondering if a normal install would satisfy those dependencies  and than finish the run in place install?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2024 13:35 #297104 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Run in Place Install
Run In Place is not an "install", it is compiled and run from wherever it is located in the drive, so no usual symlinks and shortcuts etc.
Normal install would get most of the dependencies required, but not all as it also needs compilers for C language and other stuff, but those are mostly already included in Linux, so yes that would help a lot to get you running.
On Linux Mint Debian Edition 6 the only thing you need to make a normal install is
sudo apt install linuxcnc-usapce
granted after the sudo apt update/upgrade
And after checking for dependencies you get the list of missing stuff in a terminal, highlight those, right click and select copy, then in another terminal type "sudo apt install " then right click on it and select paste. This should install everything on that list in one go, granted those dependencies can be found on the repos.

More
29 Mar 2024 15:33 #297117 by FlaredFins
Replied by FlaredFins on topic Run in Place Install
I finally got it to go and know i see what it has done. I thought a run in place was an install with everything in one directory making it easier to make changes. lol. at any rate their appears to be issues with some of the commands on the Linuxcnc documentation for the git clone I was able to get passed that. So is it possible to run linuxcnc from run in place? or did i waste my time and just need to follow the install you have posted?

More
29 Mar 2024 15:37 #297118 by FlaredFins
ok typing linuxcnc on the command line answered that question lol. it brought up the config slector.

More
29 Mar 2024 18:56 #297132 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Run in Place Install
There is a script that is required to set up the environment right for a RIP build. If you close your terminal window you need to rerun the script
. ~/linuxcnc-dev/scripts/rip-environment
This lets you run different versions in different folders if you truly are developing something new.

More
29 Mar 2024 20:06 #297137 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Run in Place Install
You can (generally) run this command in the folder that contains the "debian" folder. ie in linuxcnc-dev.

sudo apt-get install build-dep
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
30 Mar 2024 00:19 #297172 by FlaredFins
that worked to get run in place to run. guess I've got quite a lot more reading to do.

More
30 Mar 2024 00:21 #297173 by FlaredFins
there was a command I found in the documentation for run in place and it installs all dependencies. I cant find that command again but it had a period at the end of it and i kept missing that part

More
30 Mar 2024 01:06 #297177 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Run in Place Install
I made a video of how to do it.

More
31 Mar 2024 16:46 #297295 by FlaredFins
In the video you go over the dependencies using dpkg than copy all of them and edit it. I noticed dpkg would not work unless I ran ./debian/configure first to create the configure folder which know I cant remember which directory it was created in. but after running that dpkg would create the list of dependencies.

From that I ran sudo apt-get build-dep . the period at the end is necessary I kept missing that but it installed all the dependencies with out the need to copy what dpkg listed.

When you did ./configure what was the purpose to append non-distributable?

I finally mamaged to get it all running and I have questions concerning PNConf, MESAconfig and Mesa configuration tool 2 so not sure if I should ask in this thread or start another thread in those forums?

Time to create page: 0.299 seconds