Problems installing EMC2 with Xubuntu 8.04

More
30 Nov 2010 17:40 #5770 by lancewert
I recently installed Xubuntu on an older laptop with sucess. Seems to run very well (at least compared to Windows 98 it was running.)

I am now attempting to install EMC2 and am at a loss.

I have followed the instructions on this site and downloaded the EMCinstall.sh file. When I double click on the icon and message pops up telling me to input my password to install EMC2. After giving my password and pressing Enter nothing happens. I was thinking that maybe I have to be online or something....??

Anyway I am totally new at Linux and hope that its something obvious I am doing wrong.

Here are the specs on the laptop;

Gateway Solo 5300
Pentium 3 Mobile Edition 800Mhz
128 MB Ram
20 GB Hard Drive

Thanks

-Lance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Nov 2010 17:55 #5771 by BigJohnT
You might find some info here about non-standard installs...

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Installing_EMC2

While a few have succeeded typically real time applications like EMC2 are not installed on laptops as they generally make a poor candidate for real time due to power saving hardware in laptops. If your new to Linux why would you want to do a difficult install like trying to port Xbuntu to real time?

The simplest install is the LiveCD. The older one 8.04 might be a better bet for old hardware...

www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html//common_Getting_EMC.html

John

More
30 Nov 2010 20:07 - 30 Nov 2010 20:07 #5778 by lancewert
John-

Thanks for the info.

I initially tried to install Ubuntu 8.04 Live with EMC and the laptop would not install it. I tried multiple times and finally said screw it. I read a few posts with successful Xubuntu systems and decided to go this route.

-Lance
Last edit: 30 Nov 2010 20:07 by lancewert.

More
30 Nov 2010 23:57 #5788 by BigJohnT
Lance, in that case you might try installing Ubuntu 8.04.4 then installing the EMC sim. I had one motherboard that I had to go that route as the LiveCD came packaged with 8.04.0 and it missed a few things from the Ubuntu side of things I think.

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Ins...lding_emc2_simulator

John

More
01 Dec 2010 16:08 #5808 by step4linux
lancewert wrote:

I have followed the instructions on this site and downloaded the EMCinstall.sh file. When I double click on the icon and message pops up telling me to input my password to install EMC2. After giving my password and pressing Enter nothing happens. I was thinking that maybe I have to be online or something....??

Yes, you have to be online to use the script.
I did install the same like you describe on an old dell laptop with success some time ago.
After disabling SMI it works not bad.
I fear your RAM as bit low, you will not have that much fun with it.

Gerd

Time to create page: 0.301 seconds