Should I upgrade to 10.04 or not?

More
20 Dec 2010 17:41 #6184 by cwebs
I have a computer with windows and 8.04 that I use mostly for my cnc machine. I just did software update in 8.04 to EME2.4.6. I saw that the update manager says that an update to 10,04 is avalible. Should I update this also and will EMC2 still work? Or, leave well enough alone. Like I sad I use this computer for the CNC machine only. Thanks Carl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Dec 2010 18:42 #6188 by andypugh
Download the 10.04 LiveCD and boot from the CD, then check out how well it works (I think you should be able to run your existing configuration, but I am not sure).
If it works well, and you like the new shiny Ubuntu features then commit to the upgrade. However if there are any issues then I would suggest leaving well enough alone.
One reason to upgrade is that the new 10.04 RTAI kernel supports muti-processor systems properly, and you might also find that software power-off works too, which can be a nice feature.

More
20 Dec 2010 22:36 #6194 by BigJohnT
In addition to what Andy said.

Do not upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04 via the Synaptic Package Manager this will break your EMC.

John

More
23 Dec 2010 14:42 #6225 by cwebs
I know nothing about working with Linux and fixing problem that come from upgrade SNAFUs I will let it be and enjoy using EMC. Thanks Carl

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds