New installation blues...

More
15 Jan 2011 17:42 #6709 by hmc710
Hi All,
Been looking at EMC for a while and decided to load it up on a spare computer to get familiar with it. This is my 4th attempt to load Linux and my results are all the same........
This last attempt was with the LiveCD. First 3 were with RedHat, Ubuntu, and ?? My screen is black, no cursor, no movement, no nothing. The machine was a W XP system.

Tried the F1 - F6 on what I would guess is a reboot and nothing. On other posts w/black screen, they at least get something. 0 for 4 and discouraged again.

Now what?

H

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2011 19:41 #6712 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Re:New installation blues...
WAGs follow:

What type of monitor do you have I think this can happen sometimes with old pre DDC VGA monitors

Another possibility is that your computer has a hardware fault of some kind: so you might want to run memtest86

did you verify the CD checksum?

More
15 Jan 2011 20:41 #6716 by hmc710
Replied by hmc710 on topic Re:New installation blues...
Monitor is 2yr old Proview flatscreen.
Computer was running fine under W xp
No idea about checksum on cd
Thanks,
H

More
15 Jan 2011 21:46 #6719 by hmc710
Burned another cd and tried it. Machine won't load linux/emc and won't reboot under windows.
4th time I've ended up with a dead computer trying to load linux. I would like to believe here people but linux aint' showin me no love....

More
16 Jan 2011 00:29 #6721 by BigJohnT
Did you follow the instructions here:

www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/common_Getting_EMC.html

John

More
16 Jan 2011 11:35 #6724 by Rick G
Can you boot from the live CD to try linux without installing it?
Have you tried both the 8.04 and the 10.04 CD?

Rick G

More
16 Jan 2011 14:42 #6729 by hmc710
I read through the instruction page and thought I could preview it using the cd. I did not load it with the windows version.
No I have not tried another version.
I pulled the live cd and got the computer back up in safe mode. So from what I have re-read in the instructions is I need linux loaded before I can use the live cd.
Does that mean I have to burn with windows per instructions and then try it?
The machine I want to use is one from a repair guy that has lost the windows log on password so that's as far as it starts up.

Do this? " Before burning a CD, it is highly recommended that you verify the md5 sum (hash) of the .iso file.

Windows does not come with a md5sum program. You will have to download and install one to check the md5sum. More information can be found at:

help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

Burning the ISO to a CD

1.Download and install Infra Recorder, a free and open source image burning program.
2.Insert a blank CD in the drive and select Do nothing or Cancel if an auto-run dialog pops up.
3.Open Infra Recorder, and select the 'Actions' menu, then 'Burn image'."

Thanks,
H

More
16 Jan 2011 14:47 #6730 by BigJohnT
Once you get the downloaded file checked with md5sum you can burn the iso image using anything that will do that. To preview the LiveCD just boot with it in the CD drive.

John

More
16 Jan 2011 15:39 #6732 by hmc710
Downloaded the md5sum and ran it. I can't find an exact matching hash to compare it to in the ubuntuhash it has pointed me to. My file starts with 5283b and nothing I see comes close.

More
17 Jan 2011 19:44 #6754 by hmc710
Replied by hmc710 on topic where's the hash?
Where is the hash located to do the MD5sum comparison on the LiveCD?

Time to create page: 0.330 seconds