Ubuntu EMC2 pack install

More
26 Jan 2011 00:42 #6839 by ertman_176
Hello

My name is Pawel. I'm building cnc mill for model making. I made driver from this site

www.instructables.com/id/Easy-to-build-C...Motor-and-Driver-ci/

I'm doing it on DIY rule. Get good link, copy and paste it to real.

My cnc board is working vell but i need a bit more better software. Found you.

I need a complete software to run a easy 3d milling. I'm going to cut some balsa and ply parts first and then I want to mill thing such like this, but bit bigger and from foam [XPS].

code.google.com/p/heekscnc/wiki/SliptonicCar

I burned ISO on computer [i'm writing from this computer now] and put it to my laptop with no system. Nothing started after power start...

I put my XP install, it took a while and i get ready to work.

My computer has only 128mb of ram. It is working fine and vell with XP with no SP. I wount get any SP to it just because this computer is only to use with CNC, just as a driver because of LPT port. Now i don't have any PC computer at home ...

So, after start XP i changed CD to Ubuntu. Went to CD drive and double click. It is working, i instaled it by rebot so it seems to work, after computer start i chose ubuntu. And now i need about 1 hour to get my mouse to be ready to do anything on it. Always, after any computer reboot ...

I tryied to install Ubuntu as a program in XP. It is doing it same way ...

Could anybody help me ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2011 06:38 #6841 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Re:Ubuntu EMC2 pack install
Hello,

It sounds like you are a bit short on memory. You might want to look here...

wiki.linuxcnc.org/emcinfo.pl?Hardware_Requirements

For information about requirements and ways to get by with less memory if adding memory is a problem.

Rick G

More
26 Jan 2011 15:48 #6845 by andypugh
ertman_176 wrote:

I tryied to install Ubuntu as a program in XP. It is doing it same way ...

You can not install Linux as a program in Windows. (Which is what you are doing if you are trying to install Ubuntu as a program in XP).

Linux is a replacement (or alternative) to Windows. It is possible to set up a computer to give you the choice which Operating System to run when you turn it on. (It sounds like you might already have done this)

An hour to become usable sounds excessive, that is certainly not typical. As had been said, you might be short of memory. What does the computer show on the screen when loading Ubuntu? Mine took a long time to start yesterday, but it was doing a disk check.

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds