No signal in parallel port

More
11 Apr 2011 14:52 #8764 by dedetc
Hi, I just did the install of the live CD. I am new to EMC and I have cero programming skills so I don’t understand most of what I have read in the Support Forum.
Ubuntu works great, but I am having problems with EMC2. I followed the getting started guide, when doing the configuration I tested the axis and test worked fine. My new configuration was saved. But when trying to start EMC2 from my configuration it crashes. I am new to Uburn and EMC2, I don’t even know how to copy the error message to paste here. Right click on mouse doesn’t work.
When I start EMC2 from a sample configuration it works but sends no signal to my parallel port. Unlike when I tested the axis that I got a nice signal in the parallel port, running the EMC2 I get no signal in the parallel port. I would not mind working with one of the sample config as long as I could get a signal in the parallel port.
Help please.
Regards,
Carlos.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Apr 2011 16:05 #8769 by andypugh
Is the sample configuration you are using one of the "sim" configs? Those do not attempt to drive any hardware.

Anyway, given that you had a configuration that was almost working, I think that is the one to go with.

If you open a terminal window (top left for the menu, then accessories, then Terminal) you can start emc2 by typing
emc
That will give you a whole lot of output, which you can select, copy and paste.
also, type
dmesg
and you will get a lot of more detailed error messages which you can paste here (if you can't figure them out for yourself)

More
11 Apr 2011 23:22 #8782 by dedetc
Thank you, I will try to access EMC that way.
Yes, I am using one of the sim sample config. Any of the sample config set to drive hardware?
It will probably take some time to figure out and solve the problem I am having with my personal configuration. That’s why I’m asking if I could use one of the sample configurations to run my hardware?
Thanks again.

More
11 Apr 2011 23:33 - 11 Apr 2011 23:35 #8783 by cmorley
One fairly common problem:
On your original config you made with stepconf did you save it with a name that had a space in it?
EMC doesn't like spaces. Reload it in stepconf , change the name to have no spaces and then resave the config.
Last edit: 11 Apr 2011 23:35 by cmorley.

More
12 Apr 2011 13:33 #8801 by dedetc
YES! I guess the space in the name was the problem, because I saved my config with a name using no space and its working now. Know I just have to learn how to use it. I will probably post more questions in another forum, so see you around. Thank you, Carlos.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds