Required HDD Space?

More
06 May 2011 01:13 - 06 May 2011 07:42 #9623 by AssassinXCV
I have an old IBM Thinkpad that has (i think) a 5GB HDD, seeing as it is partitioned; the partition that windows 98 is on is 2.2GB and the other partition is 2.7GB. I tried installing EMC when INSIDE the liveCD (the desktop install icon), but it was saying that i did not have enough space D:

The Windows98 on the laptop is "custom" for the laptop (back in the old days each laptop required their own special version), so i dont really want to format the laptop because i dont want to lose Windows on it if this laptop ends up not working as a suitable cnc controller.

the Live CD is only 700mb, so why does it need so much hdd space?

EDIT: Checked the wiki, and found that it uses up 1.7GB of hdd space. Does anyone know why it keeps saying that i dont have enough space?

Thanks,
Last edit: 06 May 2011 07:42 by AssassinXCV.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2011 03:11 #10333 by TarHeelTom
Replied by TarHeelTom on topic Re:Required HDD Space?
In general, EMC2 doesn't like laptops, although I don't exactly understand why.

Suspect that the power monitoring and saving software may put too many unacceptable delays in place.

Tom

More
06 Jun 2011 10:32 #10337 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Required HDD Space?
If you could manage to install the stock Ubuntu 10.04 then you could install the EMC2 pure simulator.

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?EMC2_Pure_Simulator

Laptops are not good candidates for CNC control due to hardware power saving devices that cause long interrupts in CPU activity.

John

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds