What package to fix to prevent kernel upgrade

More
17 Oct 2009 16:59 #985 by aike
Hi!
What packages I have to fix (stay not upgradeable), to prevent there upgrades?
First time i installed LinuxCNC, then make upgrade and new kernel installed.
After that i could not start LinuxCNC (rtai).
I reinstalled again and fix ONLY kernel-image-*-rtai.
What else I have to fix?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2009 11:44 #986 by BigJohnT
In 8.04 open the Synaptic Package Manager. Go to Settings, Repositories, Updates and select Never for Release Upgrade.

John

More
18 Oct 2009 21:22 - 18 Oct 2009 21:25 #991 by cmorley
Doesn't that just stop EMC upgrades or Ubuntu distribution upgrades?
I believe he wants it so kernal image upgrades don't stop EMC fro working.
I'm sure it stops working because of re writing the default-starting kernal image.
Do we have instructions in the wiki on how to fix grub after an kernal image upgrade.
I would also suggest setting up grub to display the available kernal images, then you can always pick the right one.
Last edit: 18 Oct 2009 21:25 by cmorley.

More
19 Oct 2009 07:05 #996 by alex_joni
The package needed to be uninstalled is linux-image-generic
this is a meta package, uninstalling it won't uninstall any kernel.
The metapackage is always made to depends on new kernel images, so that the system is up to date.
On a regular emc2 install (starting from the LiveCD), this package is not installed.
After uninstalling it, one still needs to fix the boot order in /boot/grub/menu.lst (there are loads of instructions how to do it).

Otoh, the suggestion from BJT is very good:
kernel updates are installed as new packages (with dependencies from linux-image-generic). Apt only installs new packages if run with dist-upgrade as the option, apt-get upgrade won't install new packages.
Uncommenting Release Upgrade will probably prevent new kernel images from beeing installed.

Regards,
Alex

More
19 Oct 2009 16:38 - 19 Oct 2009 16:41 #997 by aike
alex_joni wrote:

The package needed to be uninstalled is linux-image-generic
this is a meta package, uninstalling it won't uninstall any kernel.
The metapackage is always made to depends on new kernel images, so that the system is up to date.
On a regular emc2 install (starting from the LiveCD), this package is not installed.
After uninstalling it, one still needs to fix the boot order in /boot/grub/menu.lst (there are loads of instructions how to do it).

I instelled LiveCD, then (as usual) type: sudo aptitude update. A lot of updates stored in my cache. Then i type: sudo aptitude safe-upgrade (or dist-upgrade). So as current kernel is older, then new for ubuntu-8.04, the new kernel installed. And it becomes bootable.
I made Synaptic-packet, find kernel-image-*-rtai and selected in menu not upgrade. But I also find linux-header-*.* packet and selected it too.
After that all updates and upgrades not install any new kernel image.
1. This steps not stored or menthioned in any places. Please include it in in wiki pages.
2. What packeges (linux-image, linux-header, linux-backports ...) i have to fix OR only ONE package - linux-image-*-rtai?
I wanted to know only this.
Last edit: 19 Oct 2009 16:41 by aike.

Time to create page: 0.217 seconds