Voron Life , for anyone going into 3D printing !

More
13 Jan 2022 10:50 #231647 by tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2022 10:54 #231648 by tommylight
Even this does not come close to explaining my own mess, from hating everything related to 3D printing (vase, everything was a vase!), to now having 10 of them and constantly thinking and building more of them.
H
E
L
P
:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: drdoc, shpatb

More
13 Jan 2022 11:26 #231652 by snowgoer540
"and several hundred hours of my dumb f*#$ questions being answered on discord" <--- that made me laugh.

Several years ago I was gifted an Anet A8 for Christmas. Which I spent an unknown amount of time printing upgrades for the printer, seemingly endlessly. Then I discovered the AM8 upgrade, and naturally since I had to do that, the process started over. The process went on and on...Marlin firmware, different bearing blocks, belt upgrades, tensioner redesigns, glass bed, etc. Happy to say, I just slice and print now. It never lets me down. I have been looking at the Vorons, because for what the AM8 has in reliability/quality now, it really lacks in speed. But, I'm afraid of the rabbit hole again, and honestly, it's rare that I need prints NOW.

Printy doesnt always get used, but sure is useful when it does!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
13 Jan 2022 14:59 #231668 by spumco
I've had one for 6 months now and have resisted the upgrade/mod disease up until this week.  A pi zero 2 and Klipper are on the healing bench at this moment.

Every time I see youtube printer vids I start thinking "these 3D printer people don't know #($%&@) about REAL motion control" and I start shopping for granite surface plates, linear motors and 1um scales on FleaBay...

I've even got some Parker 404XR's with scales and non-cogging servos I could repurpose to be the most accurate Ender 3 on the planet...

Must. Not. Go. There..
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, ALittleOffTheRails

More
13 Jan 2022 15:03 #231669 by tommylight

Must. Not. Go. There..

LOL, waiting at the edge of my seat for the result ! :)

More
14 Jan 2022 01:27 #231723 by ALittleOffTheRails
In the real world micron accuracy and repeatability and are not going to happen unless you have controlled conditions. Hoping to achieve it with an aluminium structure and a high heat source is folly IMHO. I call recall a thread, time & place are mystery, but they were trying to achieve an accuracy that below the thermal expansion of cast iron, the machine was in a environment with no temperature control.

Oh I have seen some youtube videos trying to get that kind of accuracy with just common chinese trapezoidal screws.

If you were to achieve that we are dealing with a medium that goes from a molten to solid state. I guess it may be possible to control that, but at what cost.

If I get a print that is close and doesn't require rework to fit I'm happy. If I need accuracy I use a another medium.

But in saying all that by some freak of nature or some yet unbeknown quantum feature I'm getting sub quark repeatability & accuracy on all tools in my shed, even the 10lb lump hammer. Except the 3D printer, I'm only getting molecule ratings.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Clive S, spumco

More
23 Feb 2022 03:32 #235580 by drdoc
1.  I have a machinist friend who spent thousands of dollars chasing .005" accuracy with an FDM printer.  Never gonna happen.  At best, you have the equivalent of a really good sandcast, ready for post processing.
2  I've long since stopped grading my 3D printers on speed.  For one thing, PETG & polycarbonate** are my main materials, and they simply don't print well at high speed.  For another, I seem to get just as impatient with a 2 hour print as a 24-hour print. Maybe more, because on the really long prints I can ignore the printer.

** maybe nylon, now that I've moved out of the swamp that is Central Texas...
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, spumco

More
23 Feb 2022 17:01 #235627 by spumco
I hope nobody got the impression that I thought a printer was anything but a swank hot melt glue gun, regardless of how much money/time is spent on the motion components.  My earlier post was intended to be tongue-in-cheek.

I, too, have stopped chasing higher speeds.  But I'm pretty happy with the larger nozzles, heaters, and so forth I added to put out more plastic per time unit.  Print times are shorter and I really don't care about surface finish - and parts seem stronger.

More
23 Feb 2022 17:46 #235635 by tommylight
I modified a Creality Ender 5 Plus to CoreXY, changed the complete hotend thingy to a DIY Volcano with a 60W heater, 0.6mm nozzle, Titan extruder with a 34mm long Nema 17 motor, 0.9 degree steppers on X and Y (or A and B), Klipper with MainSail, so now it can print over 10 times faster, or to be exact, a 24 hour print is done in 2:47 !
And the prints are much better as i can push the hot end to 300 C all day long, full metal. Printing PETG at 255 and PLA at 225, PETG looks like candy ! :)
The little Voron Leagcy i built also uses Klipper et al, everything is the same as above except the extruder that is on a short bowden tube.
All in all, Ender is limited at 200mm/s and Voron at 170mm/s for now, acceleration at 5000 and 7000 respectively.
Creality limits acceleration at 500mm/s/s by default, and that is the most important part of the speed up, since printing small stuff the machine has no space to speed up and slow down much.

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds