Where to begin

More
29 Mar 2022 11:25 #238594 by Tesremos
Where to begin was created by Tesremos
(questions are at the bottom, ramblings are at the top)

Okay, so only 11 topics..  thats not alot of resources for someone looking to get stuck into this... or is Fed up with the POS printer the brought cheap online (yeah, me)

ive got a bunch of mesa hardware, and im familar with lcnc for laser, plasma, milling, routing.

but where do i begin with 3d printing?

hardware, right, so i need

some way to move some axis.. stepgens.
sweet.

some way to heat something up.. pwm + mosfets.
thats easy, just borrow two step gens.

now,  gotta measure those temperatures to make sure im not going to burn my house down..

analog inputs. two of them.

and then some general purpose IO, limits, bed leveling, probing, filament runout sensors,

well thats not to bad. sounds a bit like a job for a 7i96.

so, is there some nice easy way (linuxcnc... easy.. same sentance...) in linuxcnc to map the pwm frequecny(out) to the reading from an analog in, for temperature control? how do i do that? can someone point me in the general direction?

i figure thats the hardest hurdle.

has any one made a nice nifty UI for 3d printin with linuxcnc?

it sounds alot like a job for a 7i96 mesa, but i only have a 7i95 spare (inless i canabalise my 7i96 from my plasma.. and put the 7i95 in there, im not up for that, just yet)

is there any way a 7i95 can read a analog input?

i read there are slicer's that will out put for linuxcnc, which is handy, do i have to add any remapping or custom mcodes, or can i just run this football field naked?

Thanks in advance, you much smarter then me people who take the time to reply

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2022 12:04 #238598 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Where to begin
PWM for heater and bed can be done even with slow normal outputs on the Mesa board, the can be switched at roughly 500 times per second, so no need to use stepgens for that.
Not sure about 7i95, but 7i76, 7i77 do have 4 analog inputs at low resolution, not usable for reading temperature, so an arduino or ESP32 can be used to read temps and send them as frequency to the mesa 7i95 encoder inputs, that should work perfectly, granted interrupts are used on the arduino/ESP to enable very fast steps/counts. Using USB for feedback should be avoided, to slow and to laggy.
For heater control, i use the BTS7960 drives, it can drive two heaters from one board and has very low RDSon resistance and can handle 43A although i like to be on the safe side, so up to 30A should be all good. And very cheap.
As for mapping, that is done by using PID loops, so the tuning has to be done manually as i am not aware of any autotuning for heaters in LinuxCNC.
Not sure about mapping as i am sure there are some codes used in 3D printing that are not in LinuxCNC.
There are members here using LinuxCNC for 3D printing, so it works for sure, for that find ScottA on this forum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tesremos, xlordofpainx

More
29 Mar 2022 12:08 #238600 by Tesremos
Replied by Tesremos on topic Where to begin
well thatsbhandy knowing the analog ins arent going to be usefull, but a big bag of arduinos (i have a bag of aruinos...) will be usefull as a DAC, good plan!

ill start there!

More
29 Mar 2022 12:13 #238601 by tommylight
A single arduino has at least 4 or 5 analog inputs, so you can have 2 thermistors on the hot end and 2 on the bed, just to have some redundancy.
I like ESP32 much more as it has 12 bit analog inputs and two processors and much more memory so can do much faster readings and more resolution.

More
29 Mar 2022 23:21 #238675 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Where to begin

so, is there some nice easy way (linuxcnc... easy.. same sentance...) in linuxcnc to map the pwm frequecny(out) to the reading from an analog in, for temperature control?

That's a job for the PID component.

More
30 Mar 2022 03:54 #238687 by Tesremos
Replied by Tesremos on topic Where to begin
Right, but i really want to use linuxcnc :) because i like it :D

but, i could use the arduino/ESP32, to do the analog readings, and convert to a frequency (like a thcad does) and forward it onto one of the encoder ports i have on the mesa's :)

More
30 Mar 2022 10:05 - 30 Mar 2022 13:41 #238698 by tommylight

but, i could use the arduino/ESP32, to do the analog readings, and convert to a frequency (like a thcad does) and forward it onto one of the encoder ports i have on the mesa's :)

Exactly.
There are also Mesa boards with analog inputs, but for this, arduino is OK.
Last edit: 30 Mar 2022 13:41 by tommylight. Reason: typpo

More
30 Mar 2022 12:39 #238724 by andypugh

Right, but i really want to use linuxcnc :) because i like it :D

We are talking about temperature sensing here, aren't we? 

linuxcnc.org/docs/stable/html/man/man9/max31855.9.html

More
30 Mar 2022 19:03 #238794 by andypugh
Another option, from elsewhere on the forum.

docs.rs-online.com/08a4/0900766b80e38f59.pdf

More
30 Mar 2022 21:09 #238830 by tommylight

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds