Capeless Beagle Bone Black what is needed?

More
06 Jul 2013 11:35 #36353 by otto_pjm
Hello,

I have a BeagleBone Black, I can run Charles Steinkuehler image on it, and I appreciate all the work Charles, Michael and others have put in to get to this point. My interest in using the BBB is for 3 and 4 axis CNC control, and don't plan, at least for now on using a cape with the BBB. So my questions are what needs to happen to be able to use the BBB, with Michael Haberler PRU code, without the assumption of a cape?

The code for some of the PRU testing seems to not be in sync with the code in Charles image.
  • For example I can't run setup.sh in linuxcnc/configs/pru-examples, because the structure of /sys/kernel/debug/ does not have an omap_mux directory.

The contents of BB-LCNC-BEBOPR-00A0.dts seems to give me the mapping of the gpio pins used
/* state the resources this cape uses */
        exclusive-use =
                /* the pin header uses */
                "P8.3",         /* gpio1.6      Enable  */
                "P8.5",         /* gpio1.2      Enablen */
                "P8.7",         /* gpio2.2      Enablen */
                "p8.20",        /* gpio1.31     E_Ena   */
                "p8.21",        /* pru1.r30.12  E_Dir   */
                "p8.27",        /* pru1.r30.8   Z_Step  */
                "p8.28",        /* gpio2.24     Z_Ena   */
                "p8.29",        /* pru1.r30.9   Z_Dir   */
                "p8.30",        /* pru1.r30.11  E_Step  */
                "p8.36",        /* gpio2.16     J4_PWM  */
                "P8.39",        /* pru1.r30.6   Y_Dir   */
                "P8.40",        /* gpio2.13     Y_Ena   */
                "P8.41",        /* gpio2.10     X_Ena   */
                "P8.42",        /* pru1.r30.5   Y_Step  */
                "P8.43",        /* pru1.r30.2   X_Step  */
                "P8.44",        /* pru1.r30.3   X_Dir   */
                "P8.45",        /* pru1.r30.0   J3_PWM  */
                "P8.46",        /* pru1.r30.1   J2_PWM  */

with the same pins referenced in the hal here
# load low-level drivers
loadrt hal_bb_gpio output_pins=103,105,107,120,121,127,128,129,130,136,139,140,141,142,143,144,145,146
loadrt [PRUCONF](DRIVER) [PRUCONF](CONFIG)

Does this mean I should be defining a cape to not use a cape, but just map the gpio pins I want to use that don't stomp on the HDMI pins?

Last question, is any of this being tracked in the LinuxCNC development git? I can't find any mention of PRu, Arm, etc in git, is it too early?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm not sure how to take what's been created and flesh it out in the direction of more mainstream 3 and 4 axis machine control, I'm more interested in having a local display, than say access to the eMMC.

Thanks

Pete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2013 23:22 #36642 by Mike_Eitel
Hey Pete

Have you seen the new version of Maschinekit and tested?

In the meantime I ordered some HW to test connectivity..

Mike

More
16 Jul 2013 08:06 #36691 by otto_pjm

Hey Pete

Have you seen the new version of Maschinekit and tested?

In the meantime I ordered some HW to test connectivity..

Mike

Mike,

I hadn't I'm not sure how I missed that, thanks for pointing it out, I'm building it now. I'll report back. Thanks again.

Pete

More
18 Jul 2013 09:01 #36755 by otto_pjm
I got the latest update, wasn't able to do much with xfce, but installed lxde and got that running just fine, my problem remains how to build a config (ini and hal) I can run. Or even a bit more info so I can play with the PRU bits. Kinda stuck there for the moment.

Pete

More
18 Jul 2013 23:12 #36782 by Mike_Eitel
Hava look Pete

bb-lcnc.blogspot.ch/2013/07/adding-homelimit-switches.html

Got now my experimental hw from adafruit but I'm very short in time these days.

Mike

More
21 Oct 2013 22:11 - 22 Oct 2013 06:35 #40132 by ggpwnkthx
Hey all,
I'm new to LCNC, and I'm trying to wrap my head around the HAL. I get it's purpose and all, it's just a bit daunting for someone of my experience.
Side note: I thought about starting a new topic, but considering my setup is "capeless" I figures I'd just drop it in here.

Anyways, I have 5x L298N ; and I'm currently controlling them strictly via GPIO from a rudimentary python script I wrote . It's not perfect, nor complete, but it does work quite well as a proof of concept.

My question is: is it possible to have LCNC use a "driver" written in python (or any other language for that matter), or must the HAL talk directly with the hardware?
If it is possible, is it worth bothering with?
If it isn't possible (or if it's just a bad way of doing things), can someone point me in the direction of how to set up the LCNC config files for using lone L298N s?

[Edit] Answered elsewhere: www.linuxcnc.org/emc2/index.php/english/...wbie-questions#40154

Thanks!
Last edit: 22 Oct 2013 06:35 by ggpwnkthx.

More
25 Jan 2014 22:04 #43156 by i81t4T
Hi ... re- BeagleBoneBlack… I currently have a CNC system that I configured many years ago and it has been functioning well. The stepper driver/interface is two 3axis boards made by Compucut. The boards plug into the parallel ports of a PC and I run in DOS in a partition on the PC using the Compucut software. Recently the motherboard auto-toasted, fortunately I had another identical PC in the ‘heap’ and so just swapped the hard drive out of the old to the new and was up and running again.
As I see it when this present one toasts (it surely will) I am reliant on finding another with parallel port/s and all the fiddle of re-configuring and transferring whatever is needed to it.
I am interested in looking at the Linux CNC and running this on a BBB but see no reason to junk the stepper drivers (there two in the machine giving 6axes).
What I would like to know from someone is - what I might require in hardware??
Clearly the starting point is the BBB … but I then need to enable this to output the 5v logic needed by the stepper interface/drivers and a GUI to see what I am doing. I want this as a standalone workshop system independent of my PC indoors (in the warm) on which I create control files, save to memory stick for transfer to workshop system.
The aim is to break dependency on DOS and old computers with parallel ports that are becoming rarer and less dependable, whilst linking to an active community of CNC/Linux, actions which seem to me to have long term benefits.
I see discussion of CAPES and also ‘capeless’ use of BBB in this context. BeBoPr also…
I can’t quite seem to assess what is really needed to create my what might be called BeagleBoneBlake.
Any constructive advise greatly appreciated. I suspect there will be a steep learning curve…
Thanks or OOH Ta! Blake.

More
10 Feb 2014 22:02 #43704 by tomws

Hi ... re- BeagleBoneBlack… I currently have a CNC system that I configured many years ago and it has been functioning well. The stepper driver/interface is two 3axis boards made by Compucut. The boards plug into the parallel ports of a PC and I run in DOS in a partition on the PC using the Compucut software. Recently the motherboard auto-toasted, fortunately I had another identical PC in the ‘heap’ and so just swapped the hard drive out of the old to the new and was up and running again.
As I see it when this present one toasts (it surely will) I am reliant on finding another with parallel port/s and all the fiddle of re-configuring and transferring whatever is needed to it.
I am interested in looking at the Linux CNC and running this on a BBB but see no reason to junk the stepper drivers (there two in the machine giving 6axes).
What I would like to know from someone is - what I might require in hardware??
Clearly the starting point is the BBB … but I then need to enable this to output the 5v logic needed by the stepper interface/drivers and a GUI to see what I am doing. I want this as a standalone workshop system independent of my PC indoors (in the warm) on which I create control files, save to memory stick for transfer to workshop system.
The aim is to break dependency on DOS and old computers with parallel ports that are becoming rarer and less dependable, whilst linking to an active community of CNC/Linux, actions which seem to me to have long term benefits.
I see discussion of CAPES and also ‘capeless’ use of BBB in this context. BeBoPr also…
I can’t quite seem to assess what is really needed to create my what might be called BeagleBoneBlake.
Any constructive advise greatly appreciated. I suspect there will be a steep learning curve…
Thanks or OOH Ta! Blake.

Check out Xylotex for their BBB cape and cnc4pc.com for a breakout board (C10 and C10S in particular). These two add-ons give you an easy and fairly low cost means to connect the BBB to virtually any 3axis parallel port stepper implementation. Xylotex also sells a preprogrammed microSD card that inserts into BBB to give you a turnkey system if you're not comfortable generating your own SD card.

Tom
The following user(s) said Thank You: i81t4T

More
20 Apr 2014 16:48 #46130 by i81t4T
Hello Tom ...
sorry not to acknowledge earlier - family health scare - all OK and re-booted.

Those links will prove most useful. As the current sys is running OK there is some inertia to my biting the beagle bullet.
Your info I shall use as a sharp stick... applied to my B axis...
Thanks again...
Blake.

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds