glass scales via ethercat?

More
14 Sep 2023 09:58 #280725 by gueee78
Hello all!

As the titel says I want to implement glass scales overr EtherCAT.

Has anyone done that before and could give me some hints where to start from?

I'd also apreciate any theory on that topic!

Is it possible to fully close the loop via ethercat?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2023 15:16 #280749 by GuiHue
Replied by GuiHue on topic glass scales via ethercat?
Given the brutal pricing of Encoder modules for Beckhoff, I have opted to not pursue this. For a machine with 3 to 4 glass scales and considering current ebay pricing, this easily exceeds 250€ per channel (plus EK1100) - I rather by a mesa card for that money.
Instead I found that I could very well connect glass scales to my Delta ASDA-A2 (and quite certainly also A3) controllers and send out the signals via Ethercat to LinuxCNC. I have build a closed loop on my test bench, however, I havent tried to tune it yet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: besriworld, gueee78

More
15 Sep 2023 06:43 #280812 by gueee78
Replied by gueee78 on topic glass scales via ethercat?
Thanks for your input @GuiHue!

Yeah, the Beckhoff encoder interfaces would probably break my bank as well, even though I already own an EK1100 and two digitL I/O slices.

How would you go about connecting glass scales to the servo drives?

I also thought about a Beckhoff RS485/RS422 module and compatible glass scales, but I'm not sure if that'd work out as hoped?!
What are your thoughts on that approch?

More
15 Sep 2023 12:42 #280841 by GuiHue
Regarding Servos: Well, the manual is a good first start;). Also, I forgot to mention, that I am using ASDA-A2-E Series with ethercat. Othervise thins would be rather pointless.

RS485/RS422: No opinion, since I never used that. Could potentially be a bit of a nightmare to configure with linuxcnc and ethercat.

More
15 Sep 2023 15:37 - 15 Sep 2023 15:38 #280857 by jjdege
Replied by jjdege on topic glass scales via ethercat?
@gueee78
HI
with the ASDA 2 E on CN7 you can implement six digital inputs, I don't know if this is your case.
Last edit: 15 Sep 2023 15:38 by jjdege.

More
16 Sep 2023 01:02 #280896 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic glass scales via ethercat?

RS485/RS422: No opinion, since I never used that. Could potentially be a bit of a nightmare to configure with linuxcnc and ethercat.

RS485 to VFD is quite possible via a serial port or USB adapter. I do this.
There are also ethercat compatible VFD's or ethercat interfaces that alloe ethercat connection to some VFD's

More
17 Sep 2023 20:27 #281017 by mwc
Replied by mwc on topic glass scales via ethercat?
If you're wanting to use the scales as part of a closed loop on a machine with typical travel speeds, then ethercat isn't going to be fast enough.

To close a loop, you need cycle times measured in microseconds, whereas ethercat cycle times are measured in milliseconds.
RS485/422 is even slower, so it all depends on what you're actually wanting to achieve. If you're just wanting to measure position, then either method should work, but if you want run closed loop, it's going to be too slow.

More
17 Sep 2023 21:30 - 17 Sep 2023 21:41 #281022 by Hakan
Replied by Hakan on topic glass scales via ethercat?
You can replace the encoder on the servo motor with a glass scale and let the servo drive do its job. That would typically mean an incremental differential quadrature signal which is what most cheap glass scales have. Maybe you can get the encoder position from the servo drive over ethercat and save the need for a separate encoder.
Ethercat works fine with closed loop in linuxcnc, the servo loop time is 1 millisecond or thereabout.

Edit: this was already tested in an earlier post.
I can add that I searched around out of curiosity and found a few rotary encoders that send absolute position with timed 1 ms intervals  or slower over rs485. Then that communication should be done by an ethercat unit, decode the value and make that available in a pdo. Does such an ethercat unit exist?
Last edit: 17 Sep 2023 21:41 by Hakan.

More
17 Sep 2023 23:48 #281027 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic glass scales via ethercat?
For scales you might be able to use one of these buit not much cheaper than Beckhoff
www.icpdas.com/en/product/ECAT-2092T
There are also ethercat specific encoders
www.encoder.com/ethercat

More
18 Sep 2023 11:58 #281069 by GuiHue
To clarify: I was thinking about using RS482/422 via Ethercat Beckhoff modules. I use RS485 for my VFD via USB as well.

Time to create page: 0.328 seconds