Gmoccapy v3 handling of angular_velocity

More
10 Apr 2020 20:12 - 10 Apr 2020 20:13 #163527 by GuiHue
Hi everyone,

I tried my hand at getting a fourth axis (A) going today. While I did get it to show up in gmoccapy as A together with an additional slider for the velocity for manual jogging, I did encounter an issue.

in my machine.ini I placed the following with DISPLAY and TRAJ
[DISPLAY]
DEFAULT_ANGULAR_VELOCITY = 36
MAX_ANGULAR_VELOCITY = 36
MIN_ANGULAR_VELOCITY = 0

[TRAJ]
COORDINATES =  X Y Z A
LINEAR_UNITS = mm
ANGULAR_UNITS = degree
DEFAULT_LINEAR_VELOCITY = 166.667
MAX_LINEAR_VELOCITY = 166.667
DEFAULT_ANGULAR_VELOCITY = 36
MAX_ANGULAR_VELOCITY = 36

Regardless of the values for DEFAULT_ANGULAR_VELOCITY (tried 36, 180, 360, ...) gmoccapy starts with a velocity of 360°/min and goes up to 10 times that (3600°/min). I had expected the value in the gui to change according to the ini file.

linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/gui/gmoccapy.html doe snot mention "angular" at all. I guess I am chasing the wrong variable. What can I do to fix it?

I am using a recent 2.9 install.

Cheers and thx

Guido
Last edit: 10 Apr 2020 20:13 by GuiHue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2020 21:32 #163532 by cmorley
For whatever reason GMoccapy doesn't read the INI for angular defaults.
It uses a special GladeVCP widget that has bben set at default 36 max 36000

To change it would require loading GMoccapy's Glade file in the Glade editor (GTK2 version) changing the defaults and saving it.

Chris

More
11 Apr 2020 07:32 #163580 by GuiHue
Thank you Chris,

I figured that much. Has this been raised as a bug on github? If not; I'll be happy to do so.

Cheers

Guido

More
11 Apr 2020 14:41 #163618 by cmorley
I have not. Feel free.

More
11 Apr 2020 18:39 #163643 by GuiHue
I have raised the issue within github. I will have a look at it myself. Doesn't seem to be too bad to do. But i am utterly unfamiliar with the process of working on large scale community driven software projects. I guess the correct way is to fork linuxcnc and play with it there?

Furthermore, I have discovered something else which is a bit odd.

If I jog A axis in gmoccapy at speeds above~800°/min the motor is stuttering. If i send it around with G1 or G0 at speeds up to 10800°/min it is running perfectly smooth. Any ideas?

More
11 Apr 2020 19:49 #163649 by cmorley
Fork is the usual way - you can add a pull request. A small patch file would work too.

Is your a axis a stepper? could it be resonance?

More
12 Apr 2020 10:32 #163738 by GuiHue
Thanks for getting back to me on both topics!

I have since made a fork (;)) and started playing around. Will take some more time for testing, but I think the major issue has been taken care off. I will report back.

On the axis issue:
Yes, my a axis is a stepper. Somehow I never encountered resonace in such a bad form with steppers in the past. I thus had not thought about. Accordingly the error is of course not within the interface - sorry about that. I had tried similar but not identical speeds. With resonance this of course can lead to disaster.

I have a Nema34 with 8 wires connected to a Leadshine DM856. It runs at 4000 Steps/rev and at 3.8A. I initially had it connected in serial configuration. I have since switched to parallel connection as per the picture in the link below.
See: www.longs-motor.com/de/hybrid-stepper-motor-nema34.html

It now works fine. There is a spot where it starts to whine a bit, but within the usable range it did not have any hiccups or severe stuttering. Torque is not really an isseu for me, as the forth axis gous from the stepper through i=40 planetary gearbox that I had laying around.

Thanks a lot Chris and Happy Easter.

More
12 Apr 2020 12:49 #163749 by Mike_Eitel
Hi Chris
Are you aware that you can "optimize" this stepper driver via serial and leadshine sw?
Mike

More
29 Apr 2020 00:50 - 29 Apr 2020 01:57 #166042 by mgb740
Hello! I have this same problem, It's been driving me crazy for several days. I'm not sure I understand how to edit the glade file. can someone point me to a tutorial? <
I figured it out, for anyone else gmoccapy's glade file is located in /usr/share/gmoccapy/ the GLADE editor for me was found under Applications->Development->glade It took me a minute to realize i had to maximize the window to find the angular slider. Click on it and change the settings then save as somewhere. then in the terminal do a sudo cp back to it's original location.

Thanks, first bit of progress in days.

My g0 and g1 commands are still throttled at 60/deg per minute

g0b360,
g0b360f4000 both limited to 60/deg per minute. Any advice?
Last edit: 29 Apr 2020 01:57 by mgb740.

More
12 Aug 2020 20:08 #178054 by newbynobi
I fixed that yesterday, I missed to check the INI file for angular velocities. I pushed only to 2.8 release.

Norbert

Moderators: newbynobiHansU
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds