Raised Spindle - What a mess

More
20 Apr 2023 00:13 #269459 by Jeff_in_Wa
I'm using v2.8.2 Linuxcnc - Debian Buster /  Gmoccapy ui
Machine is a cnc router (PrintNC)     X, YY, Z

For the last year, I have been using this machine and it has been working flawlessly
Then I decided to raise the spindle so that I could get my probe over a part I'm working
on...  That was a mistake!   I only raised the spindle a half inch...

Now when I probe bar stock (xyz), run the tool setter(M600, M6), start machining, the end mill
is cutting air about 2.5" above the bar stock.  I watch the probe routine working, each axis being
zeroed out on the dro.  

Why am I cutting air now?   Did I dink with some stored spindle height variable? 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2023 04:58 #269467 by newbynobi
Without your config it is not possible to answer the question, as there are to many possibilities.

You raised the spindle to get your probe over the part?
So you moved the spindle and the probe? 
In gmoccapy you can set blockheight and probe hight etc. have you checked your settings?

Norbert

More
20 Apr 2023 05:07 #269469 by Jeff_in_Wa
Thanks Norbert. Yes, I raised the spindle up a half inch to get the probe over the part. That's it.

Now when I use the probe, and tool setter, then start a job, the end mill is cutting air about 2"+ above the part. I have checked the post a number of times.

I'm wondering if there is a variable set somewhere that has the old spindle height.

More
20 Apr 2023 06:07 #269472 by newbynobi

Thanks Norbert. Yes, I raised the spindle up a half inch to get the probe over the part. That's it.

Now when I use the probe, and tool setter, then start a job, the end mill is cutting air about 2"+ above the part. I have checked the post a number of times.

I'm wondering if there is a variable set somewhere that has the old spindle height.

In gmoccapy you can set blockheight and probe hight etc. have you checked your settings?

More
22 Apr 2023 17:39 #269620 by Jeff_in_Wa
Here is what I know for sure
This all started when I raised my spindle a half inch up in it's mount

From that time, I have NOT been able to use my probe where I don't end up cutting air after using M600, M6 T99

If I bypass the probe, and set the tool manually, still using M600, M6 T99, the job runs fine.

Yes, the probe routine is setting the three axis's to zero on the DRO

Something changed when I raised the spindle up. This is what started the issue with my machine.

To me, the M6 routine isn't calculating the offset now. And I have no idea. If I run a second tool change on the job I'm running, the Z will be off.

More
22 Apr 2023 18:04 #269623 by tommylight

Without your config it is not possible to answer the question, as there are to many possibilities.

You did not provide config files as requested by NewByNobi

Here is what I know for sure
This all started when I raised my spindle a half inch up in it's mount

That is to be expected, the machine does not know you raised the gantry, it has to be told by editing stuff to match the new reality.
Insisting on it will for sure not fix it.
Or will it...

More
22 Apr 2023 18:22 #269626 by Jeff in Wa

File Attachment:

File Name: PrintNC.zip
File Size:1,403 KB

Thank you Tommy...  Attached is my config

In response to your comments, I don't recall setting any spindle height when I first set up the machine.
I have a limit switch at the top of Z, and set the min / max limits in the .ini file
I have absolutely no idea where I would change the spindle height beyond this

Thanks for looking at this for me
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
22 Apr 2023 18:26 #269627 by tommylight
I do not think it is the spindle height causing issues, the probing is, it has to be told to go lower or the probing offset is still the old one hence the spindle cutting air.
Still i might be off as it's been quite a while since i have done anything mill related.
Thank you for not taking my response the wrong way.

More
22 Apr 2023 19:06 #269631 by Jeff_in_Wa
Tommy, maybe you are telling me what the issue is... Where is the probing offset stored? Maybe this is as simple as clearing that offset. I just don't know how that is stored.

More
22 Apr 2023 21:43 #269642 by Jeff_in_Wa
(Solved)

I went back to the Fusion 360 post and see something I haven't seen before in my posts...

G43 Z15. H10

This line is looking for tool compensation... I don't have any compensation in my tool file, so I don't know why this caused the issue. But, I changed the line to G0 Z15. F500. and my machine works again!!!!!!!!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, ikkuh

Moderators: newbynobiHansU
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds