Need some opinions about the Gmoccapy GUI

More
27 Apr 2023 16:39 - 27 Apr 2023 16:41 #270069 by HansU
Two points I would like to hear your opinion about.
1. Currently gmoccapy shows the current velocity in the Rapid Override frame (1). I think the velocity does not really fit there. In earlier gmoccapy versions there was an override for maximum velocity, so that was correct.It is not really consistent with the other displays and a user could expect kind of a more static value like maximum_machine_velocity * override_factor.
I think we have three options here:
  • 1.1 Re-arrange the GUI that the current velocity gets its own frame (2). Disadvantage: looks a bit ugly and inconsistent.
  • 1.2 Change the value of (1) to maximum_machine_velocity * override_factor. But I think the current velocity is more useful that this value)
  • 1.3 Leave it as it is because it looks good this way and is clear enough
What do you think about that?

2. The spindle off button in spindle-off-state is currently yellow. Could be changed to red to be more consistent with usual operator panels like that e.g.:

Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Apr 2023 16:41 by HansU.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2023 18:41 - 27 Apr 2023 19:05 #270074 by 0x2102
Hello Hans, 

1.) I personally would say "leave as is". Never really bothered me, but would be fine either way. 

2.) I would agree "red" is better but yellow works for me here as well. 

Since we are talking about "opinions", I thought I would ask about the +/- buttons and the jog and override sliders:

It would be great to make the sliders touchable (drag and move) to quickly adjust the settings. I hardly never use the +/- buttons, as they are too slow to adjust the setting. 

I created a couple of custom buttons for jogging. Turtle might work here as well but it gives only 2 options. 

Next to the override frames, I added custom buttons for rapid override / feed override. Again, same here: +/- is way to slow for making adjustment on the fly. 

I understand that space might be limited on 15" screens, but on 17"+ touch I really like those buttons and use them frequently. 

Maybe food for thought. 
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Apr 2023 19:05 by 0x2102.

More
28 Apr 2023 05:14 #270096 by newbynobi
Hallo Hans,

I would leave the speed indication as it is, I completely agree with you opinieon, that it is not placed perfect, but I do not like the "additional splitting" of the screen Design to get the vel in a separate frame.

According to the spindle button, I made it yellow in first step, as all active buttons has been yellow in the first decade of developing gmoccapy.
Now I agree, that red would be better.

Norbert

More
29 Apr 2023 20:13 #270233 by zz912
Hello Hans,

I wish this:

1) Actual velocity
2) maximum_machine_velocity * override_factor
3) actual_feed_velocity * override_factor
I don't like the red spindle button. To me, red means a mistake or danger. If you are going to use the color red for normal operation, you cannot escalate any warnings with the color red.
I wish another EMBED_TAB_LOCATION 8:

Sometime in the future, I would like to build a machine where all drivers will be connected to Modbus and I will display the load of all axes, just like adult machines have.

Attachments:

More
30 Apr 2023 06:10 #270294 by blazini36
I can't recall off the top of my head but there is something odd about the spindle button, maybe it's because my machine is on 2.8....

I think that when the spindle is on, the button goes grey. I always find that odd when I go to stop the spindle that the buttons are grey.

More
30 Apr 2023 13:26 - 30 Apr 2023 13:28 #270306 by HansU
Just talking about point 2 now.

I thought about having the icons without background and let CSS define the background. So everyone can use a custom css file. But that inferferes with the symbolic icons from other icon themes. So maybe it's not a good idea.

Without background

With background

I don't like the red spindle button. To me, red means a mistake or danger. If you are going to use the color red for normal operation, you cannot escalate any warnings with the color red.

That was also my concern.
Maybe something like this?

I wish another EMBED_TAB_LOCATION 8:
Sometime in the future, I would like to build a machine where all drivers will be connected to Modbus and I will display the load of all axes, just like adult machines have.

That's a good idea and easy to add.

I can't recall off the top of my head but there is something odd about the spindle button, maybe it's because my machine is on 2.8....

I think that when the spindle is on, the button goes grey. I always find that odd when I go to stop the spindle that the buttons are grey.

Yeah but it complies with the design that buttons with active states are highlighted.

Do you have something like this in mind?

I still tend to

You always can use a custom theme with those buttons swapped or modified.
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Apr 2023 13:28 by HansU.

More
05 May 2023 05:10 #270696 by newbynobi
First option is defenetely my favorite, Wow I like that one!
Modern and easy to interprate!

Norbert

More
05 May 2023 07:27 #270706 by HansU
Which one? I posted 5 images... ;-)

More
05 May 2023 07:36 #270707 by Aciera
First one +1

More
05 May 2023 08:33 #270712 by HansU

First one +1

Same here - which one?

Moderators: newbynobiHansU
Time to create page: 0.526 seconds