G4 usage with lathe turning

More
12 Jun 2017 22:51 #94436 by russkinch
Hi everyone. I am using the O codes from here and they work amazing. I have already machined many items on my self built Warco CNC lathe. However, on the large XYZ lathe I have at work, during the rough turning cycle, it cuts for a pre-defined length (ie 2mm), then pauses for a fraction of a second and cuts again. This effectively makes a chip breaker which is good when machining steel or ali so it does not make a long wire strand to get caught up. This there away that the G4 code can be implemented into the turning O code to allow a short pause every X mm?? Many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2017 21:00 #94478 by jtc
Replied by jtc on topic G4 usage with lathe turning
I thing k that g82 do what you want:
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode/g-code.html#gcode:g82

I prefer to use g83...

João

More
13 Jun 2017 23:17 #94489 by andypugh
G4 is already "taken" as the "pause" G-code.

However, it would be possible to create a custom G-code to do what you want from the unallocated list.

But, I think the only way to make it work would be with a custom HAL component that cycles the adaptive-feed pin.

So: Remapped G-code calls Python handler (or G-code sub) that sets the feed distance and pause-time parameters of the component, and the component twiddles the adaptive-feed pin.
(Actually, as a rough-and-ready solution the component could run all the time as a fixed pattern and be toggled on-and-off with M52:
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/man/man9/motion.9.html
The pattern could probably be generated by the siggen HAL component.

motion.feed-inhibit might work too.

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds