Tabbing a part

More
18 Aug 2019 15:41 #142444 by okiejim
Tabbing a part was created by okiejim
I am new to NativeCam and have two questions please.

How do you guys go about adding tabs to your NatiiveCam designs.
I had the tool touch off button once but did not complete the process so now it greyed out?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Aug 2019 20:35 #142452 by okiejim
Replied by okiejim on topic Tabbing a part
OK so I'm learning. Seems Tool Touch Off is not what i thought. I ran my first test part without cutting. Once done the Tool Touch Off button became active. I then hit it to see if it would touch off to my touch plate. No I see that is not what it does. I had a touch plate routine I used before but it had buttons where the nativecam now resides. So I will play some more. Still have the question of adding tabs to that can move once cut out. Maybe just double sided tape for now. Fern this is an awesome tool. Thank you for you work.

More
22 Aug 2019 17:43 #142864 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Tabbing a part
Tabbing is a fairly advanced bit of CAM, and might be difficult to do inside the NativeCAM structure.
I am not saying that it can't be done, but I think it would be at least as hard as any other part of the CAM for a profile, and maybe harder.

More
23 Aug 2019 00:52 #142910 by okiejim
Thank you Andy,
This is helpful. I was spoiled with sketchucam as it was available and easy to use. It was a pain though having to use a seperate computer to design on and then send gcode to cnc. I have just re-arranged my cut sequences to help reduce the need to worry about loose parts. Then I will take a rectangle to size up a cut and re-trace the rectangle with polyline leaving a break for the tab and deleting the rectangle when done. I hope this will work. I'm getting hooked on NativeCam is it makes me think about my design more like a machiine. Thank you again Fern for a wonderful tool. The learning curve is not that bad, once you make the mistake it does not take much to figure out how to fix it.

More
26 Aug 2019 19:14 #143244 by okiejim
Hi everyone,
Well, I got some tabbing started. I had a rectangle on a part that when cut out was going to move. I went ahead and used the rectangle corrdinates to create 6 poly lines. 4 on the x axis and two on the y axis. the four on the x axis I left a .5 gap between them which acted as two tabs and they held. Of course I deleted the rectangle once the lines were drawn in. Next I twill try a circle to see what it takes to do that. I am really liking this NativeCam. I making a zero clearance insert for my shopsmith right now and having a blast.

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds