NativeCAM + trochoidal milling?

More
07 Mar 2021 09:17 #201264 by robertspark
hi, I was wondering if there was any chance of adding trochoidal milling to NativeCAM?

as an aide to those us us with more light weight setups?

I have estlcam and remain impressed with it, although it is only available under Windows (not tried it but apparently can be made to run under wine), but NativeCAM is really useful for which operations such as generic facing, profiling and pockets and arrays etc.

www.harveyperformance.com/in-the-loupe/i...-trochoidal-milling/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2021 09:39 #201267 by Mike_Eitel
Just some thoughts:
Not in a CAM but implement in hal:
1. use cutter compensation.
2. the tool-table diameter is cutter plus "oscillation" amplitude
3. use external offset in x and y with amplitude
4. Use a siggen for frequency

Wouldn't this would be a nice G-code ;-)
Mike

More
07 Mar 2021 10:02 #201272 by robertspark
I am a noob at linuxcnc... still learning the nomenclature (more putting it all together / how to add events from other inputs than the nomenclature)...

I've got a very lightweight router (openbuilds c-beam XL) and trochoidal milling helps to avoid high cutting forces. ok the delrin nuts suffer additional wear and more frequent replacement but got to break eggs to make an omelette.... and it's all a trade off.... sure I'd like a large format hobbing router able to do occasional aluminium... but not in my garage as a hobbyist.

trochoidal milling also opens up the possibility of using a lightweight 4'x4' plasma table for router work too in my opinion (not tried it (yet!))

More
07 Mar 2021 10:39 #201274 by mydani
Hi robertspark,

you can find plenty of algorithms in the internet for this topic, trochoidal/adaptive pockets, circles, etc. Weird shapes are still a thing for a CAM but regular shapes like rectangles, circles, or dogbones (ref. to your other question) can be handled by an algortihm not to complicated.

Bringing it to NativeCAM is the 2nd part of the job, the 1st one would be to write a GCode/OCode which does the operation, using parameters like start/stop coordinates, size, speeds, etc.

If you can achive part 1 I will gladly add the operation to the NativeCAM ui.

Regards,
Daniel

More
07 Mar 2021 10:50 #201275 by robertspark
thanks very much, happy for a bit of homework.

NativeCAM is a really nice and helpful tool for simple operations and a really big timesaver.

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds