Compiling RTIA .comp in Pathpilot

More
15 Apr 2016 22:54 - 15 Apr 2016 23:25 #73377 by cncnoob1979
Hey!

I have Pathpilot installed and trying to get running.

I've started the Rip environment so I can halcompile --install a few missing modules.
However console is complaining that halcompile is not a command. I have looked to see if I can find halcompile - but no such luck.

So... Where do I need to look for halcompile? I'm guessing it's a path issue if it is installed on the system.

I have the .comp files for the missing modules.

Also: I renamed my 5i25/7i77x2 bit file to the default that pathpilot looks for (in the upgrade folder 1.9.2) (so no edits) to the ini's. I still got a my card flashed - but it is still the same firmware. I have linuxcnc 3.7.4 on a different ssd and confirmed it after a quick panic. ;)

Can someone confirm it will flash the firmware upon executing the setup script? (First run by default) or else the firmware I flashed was older from the 5i25 that was installed.

I downloaded the firmware from Mesa and got the 5i25-7i77x2 bit file.

Can you point me in the right direction?
I'm very close to getting the UI up.

Edit: after seeing this in the docs I guess I need to:

sudo apt-get install linuxcnc-dev

To get the required dev package. Internet is dead with Pathpilot. Guess I'll need to get the deb.
I downloaded the dev but it needs the header files.. I got the dev package from the precise base/386 binary in buildbot. Where do I need to go to get the headers for Pathpilot?

I'm not sure if what I would blindly do --=---- would be compatible with the older linuxcnc install.
Last edit: 15 Apr 2016 23:25 by cncnoob1979.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2016 12:36 #73400 by cncbasher
be very careful , and understand the differences between pathpilot and Linuxcnc currently offered .
dependant on what your trying to do the differences can be huge .

Pathpilot is based on Ubuntu 10_04 and with version of Linuxcnc as of 2.6.3 , approximately lets say 18month to 2 years back
and uses the rtai kernel 2.6.32.122-rtai i686 .

Their are 3 bit files used for tormach machines they are :
tormach_lathe.bit
tormach_mill2.bit
tormach_mill3.bit

these are loaded dependant on which tormach machine you select , and can also be selected by the startup scripts amd installed and including the approprate ini files , built from an internal python script , hence my reasoning for editing the python scripts in my tutorial , so it does not overwrite or interfere with any ini files .

if your not using any of the above , i would do as you suggested and rename and copy the bit file you want to use , to all three above names ,
if your 5i25 is not loaded with firmware as supplied new , then on start up it will probably select tormach_mill3.bit , and use it's own inbuilt version of Mesaflash ( tormach_mesaflash ) , and it will program the 5i25 accordingly . it checks for a reply checksum , if thats not found then it goes through the routine to flash the card , again another reason to patch the files .

as Pathpilot is only really meant for tormach machines , some components were removed and some functionality such as Halcompile , not being required etc , removed .
Also Pathpilot uses REDIS server for communications so this is also required in your ini files
along with the estop being renamed or you'll find the GUI reset , limits , spindle encoder test lights , requiring subtile name changes .

you'll need to use a version of halcompile from the same kernel build , and as Linuxcnc now is using Debian 7 & 8
much is now not compatable .

if pathpilot incurrs any errors on startup , it will default into reflashing the bit file & or remaking an ini file from it's inbuilt repairing scripts, to try and repair it's self.

the best way to see what errors you have is to look at the file gcode/logfiles/pathpilotlog.txt
this can also be done over a network which is handy . including a windows machine as the gcode folder is sharable .

let me know by email and i can help with approprate files etc .
using a 5i25 / 7i76 combination works fine , once you have replaced the bit file and don't have your 5i25 flashed with the tormach files .
the easy way to tell is to use dmesg and see that you have the sserial pins and the quad encoder listed
if they are missing chances are it has flashed the tormach versions .

More
17 Apr 2016 02:29 - 17 Apr 2016 02:56 #73454 by cncnoob1979
I have the Pathpilot UI up and running :)

However... I can not get my 5i25 to communicate. I believe Im missing something for the read thread for the card. I loaded Ubuntu 10.04 and installed linuxcnc 2.50 with the dev packages. I moved all required .ko modules over to my Pathpilot install. Worked like a charm. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction cncbasher!

5i25 INI
Warning: Spoiler!

5i25 HAL file

Last edit: 17 Apr 2016 02:56 by cncnoob1979.

More
17 Apr 2016 10:17 #73466 by cncbasher
you managed ?
not sure what not communicate means , email me exact error
you should have 2 lights on the 7i76 , the fact that pathpilot is not giving you an error , would mean that the cards are communicating

More
17 Apr 2016 14:05 - 17 Apr 2016 14:09 #73475 by cncnoob1979
Path Pilot Status Window

Terminal Window

dmesg Cleared before launch

Getting a bit closer now... I have my hardware running with Linuxcnc 2.7.4 just fine so my board is not flashed. Just something I have not caught yet.

Thanks for helping me out! I still have a lot of work left to connect all my signals to pathpilot. So far I just have the UI up, obliviously nothing is working :)

EDIT:

Just noticed this:
[  405.637195] hm2/hm2_5i25.0: Watchdog has bit!

That would explain the read error.. now to figure that out.
Last edit: 17 Apr 2016 14:09 by cncnoob1979.

More
18 Apr 2016 22:29 - 18 Apr 2016 22:41 #73571 by cncnoob1979
I have most of PP working, now Im trying to build this HY_VFD component. These are the errors Im getting.. any suggestions?

Edit: I have linuxcnc 2.5.0 dev with build essential.

I'm thinking I need to put the hy_vfd.c elsewhere or I need to download something else.

I've never attempted this before.
desktop:~/huanyang-vfd$ sudo comp --install hy_vfd.c
make KBUILD_EXTRA_SYMBOLS=/usr/realtime-2.6.32-122-rtai/modules/linuxcnc/Module.symvers -C /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-122-rtai SUBDIRS=`pwd` CC=gcc V=0 modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-122-rtai'
  CC [M]  /tmp/tmpl5K9eQ/hy_vfd.o
/tmp/tmpl5K9eQ/hy_vfd.c:24:2: error: #error This is intended as a userspace component only.
/tmp/tmpl5K9eQ/hy_vfd.c:27:19: error: stdio.h: No such file or directory
/tmp/tmpl5K9eQ/hy_vfd.c:28:20: error: unistd.h: No such file or directory
/tmp/tmpl5K9eQ/hy_vfd.c:29:18: error: time.h: No such file or directory
/tmp/tmpl5K9eQ/hy_vfd.c:30:20: error: string.h: No such file or directory
/tmp/tmpl5K9eQ/hy_vfd.c:31:20: error: stdlib.h: No such file or directory
/tmp/tmpl5K9eQ/hy_vfd.c:32:20: error: signal.h: No such file or directory
/tmp/tmpl5K9eQ/hy_vfd.c:33:19: error: errno.h: No such file or directory
/tmp/tmpl5K9eQ/hy_vfd.c:34:20: error: getopt.h: No such file or directory
/tmp/tmpl5K9eQ/hy_vfd.c:35:18: error: math.h: No such file or directory
In file included from /tmp/tmpl5K9eQ/hy_vfd.c:38:
/home/stacie/huanyang-vfd/hy_comm.h:31:20: error: stdint.h: No such file or directory
/home/stacie/huanyang-vfd/hy_comm.h:32:21: error: termios.h: No such file or directory
/home/stacie/huanyang-vfd/hy_comm.h:33:20: error: limits.h: No such file or directory
In file included from /tmp/tmpl5K9eQ/hy_vfd.c:38:
/home/stacie/huanyang-vfd/hy_comm.h:95: error: ‘PATH_MAX’ undeclared here (not in a function)
/home/stacie/huanyang-vfd/hy_comm.h:101: error: field ‘old_tios’ has incomplete type
/tmp/tmpl5K9eQ/hy_vfd.c:147: error: array type has incomplete element type
/tmp/tmpl5K9eQ/hy_vfd.c: In function ‘usage’:
/tmp/tmpl5K9eQ/hy_vfd.c:190: error: implicit declaration of function ‘printf’
/tmp/tmpl5K9eQ/hy_vfd.c: In function ‘read_setup’:
/tmp/tmpl5K9eQ/hy_vfd.c:467: error: implicit declaration of function ‘fflush’
/tmp/tmpl5K9eQ/hy_vfd.c: In function ‘read_data’:
/tmp/tmpl5K9eQ/hy_vfd.c:513: error: implicit declaration of function ‘fabs’
/tmp/tmpl5K9eQ/hy_vfd.c: In function ‘main’:
/tmp/tmpl5K9eQ/hy_vfd.c:629: error: implicit declaration of function ‘getopt_long’
/tmp/tmpl5K9eQ/hy_vfd.c:632: error: ‘optarg’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/tmp/tmpl5K9eQ/hy_vfd.c:632: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
/tmp/tmpl5K9eQ/hy_vfd.c:632: error: for each function it appears in.)
/tmp/tmpl5K9eQ/hy_vfd.c:638: error: implicit declaration of function ‘atoi’
/tmp/tmpl5K9eQ/hy_vfd.c:642: error: ‘FILENAME_MAX’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/tmp/tmpl5K9eQ/hy_vfd.c:647: error: implicit declaration of function ‘strdup’
/tmp/tmpl5K9eQ/hy_vfd.c:688: error: implicit declaration of function ‘strtol’
/tmp/tmpl5K9eQ/hy_vfd.c:698: error: implicit declaration of function ‘strtof’
/tmp/tmpl5K9eQ/hy_vfd.c:699: error: ‘UINT16_MAX’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/tmp/tmpl5K9eQ/hy_vfd.c:745: error: implicit declaration of function ‘exit’
/tmp/tmpl5K9eQ/hy_vfd.c:752: error: implicit declaration of function ‘getpid’
/tmp/tmpl5K9eQ/hy_vfd.c:756: error: implicit declaration of function ‘signal’
/tmp/tmpl5K9eQ/hy_vfd.c:923: error: implicit declaration of function ‘usleep’
/tmp/tmpl5K9eQ/hy_vfd.c:934: error: implicit declaration of function ‘fprintf’
/tmp/tmpl5K9eQ/hy_vfd.c:934: error: ‘stderr’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/tmp/tmpl5K9eQ/hy_vfd.c:976: error: implicit declaration of function ‘nanosleep’
make[2]: *** [/tmp/tmpl5K9eQ/hy_vfd.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/tmpl5K9eQ] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-122-rtai'
make: *** [modules] Error
Last edit: 18 Apr 2016 22:41 by cncnoob1979.

More
19 Apr 2016 00:46 - 19 Apr 2016 00:47 #73575 by PCW
Not sure about the other errors, but the first error gives you a clue, so

sudo comp -- install --userspace hy_vfd.c

may get you further
Last edit: 19 Apr 2016 00:47 by PCW.

More
19 Apr 2016 00:55 #73576 by cncnoob1979
Thanks PCW!

I couldn't get it to compile so I went to the cnc zone forums and got the 2.5.0 linuxcnc version. I have it pulling up the uspace component now.

I like the PP interface but with such an old linuxcnc build. It's really rough downgrading. :(

My linux mint 17.3 with gmoccapy is flawless. ;)

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds