Path Pilot Configs 5I15/7I76

More
04 Nov 2016 09:59 #82414 by Contract_Pilot
Will see what I can do I am on the hunt for a prebuilt... Spent 2 years on this project so far!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Nov 2016 14:25 #82422 by Lcvette
What exactly is left to complete the build? Have you made a completion check list? I find if you don't make one of those its hard to visualize the finish line. The best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time!

More
04 Nov 2016 22:08 - 04 Nov 2016 22:09 #82461 by Contract_Pilot
Not much is left i do have a list it is in the shop. Off memory.

Make Ridged Tool Post Holder
Redo And Mount Electronics Enclosure & VFD
Reinstall and Mount Z Axis Prox Sensors
Some Minor Wiring.
Install Coolant System
Get Path Pilot To Work 100%
Last edit: 04 Nov 2016 22:09 by Contract_Pilot.

More
04 Nov 2016 23:20 #82464 by Lcvette
When I hit a wall on a project and get drug down in the mud on a list item, I make my notes on it and go for an easier win. Many times while I'm focusing on the new item I get reinvigorated on the project. Also its easier to deal with a problem when it's near the last thing required to complete the overall project. I would tackle the tool post and then the z axis proximity sensor, then the coolant and then get back to the software side of things. Think it will help rekindle your interest and enthusiasm in your build!!

More
04 Nov 2016 23:46 #82465 by Contract_Pilot
Mostly the waiting on mail order items, by the time they arrive plans changed or found a more efficient way and no good toy stores locally to do on the spot shopping.

More
05 Nov 2016 00:26 #82466 by Lcvette
No Amazon prime membership? Man I wear out the free two day shipping... I could see having a few hard to find items, but with as much as you have left, maybe parallel a few list items so you don't have to stop!

More
05 Nov 2016 00:38 #82467 by Lcvette
Oh... And use your peers for motivation!! It's always easier to push through tough spots when your posting your progress and ask questions.. I use the forums, Instagram, Facebook etc.. have several machining buddies I made through those others to share progress and pitfalls and I was amazed at how much that helps both self motivated as well as invigorate creativity and new ideas from different perspectives! Post here, I'm subscribed! I'm happy to help anyway I can, I have a very similar project underway with a lathe build and also a new small vmc I'm getting put together for pathpilot. Happy to share progress updates! My handle on Instagram is same as here, added me as a friend, can introduce you to several of my friends with very similar builds!! The chat function is awesome there to for very easy picture sharing, quick videos etc.. my productivity shot up when I joined Instagram! @Lcvette

More
05 Nov 2016 01:53 - 05 Nov 2016 02:17 #82473 by Contract_Pilot
Right now it is the Stepper Drive Timing I am researching.

Drives In Use Data Sheet I have I think 9 of These Drives they use IRF 540/9540 mosfets. Running them Both Drives in the lathe on Independent 80V 5A unregulated Power Supplies. The only spec it says is The minimum pulse width (LO level) should be 2uS.

I can get it to move fine slow but when I go for some speed 50ipm it stalls out or misses steps or path pilot give an (error will post error when I get back to working on it). Could be the PC also tried 3 so far same results.

Thinking just swap the drives out to leadshine's or something that's known may be an idea but then I think about Rewiring crimping new connectors etc. I put it off to another day then get busy for a month or so. When running mach and it spit the cross slide off and broke the ball nut coupler it took me months to find a replacement that was not $350.00 got lucky and found a NOS one on evil bay

If i go the leadshine option I would just to buy a complete enclosure with control board less drives and vfd from tormach then install some leadshines and my vfd and have very little reprogramming and it would be a clean electrical cabinet to boot!
Last edit: 05 Nov 2016 02:17 by Contract_Pilot.

More
05 Nov 2016 02:07 - 05 Nov 2016 02:11 #82474 by Lcvette
Hmmmm.. That's odd, sounds like a hardware issue. I love the closed loop steppers, I purchased then about 2 years ago for my G0704, they are hanmarte brand from China and we're inexpensive for the motor and drive package, Nema 34 1200ozin with digital drive ran me about $130 a set. They are AC or DC power compatible, I run mine on a simple AC transformer at 70vac, simplifies everything and keeps noise down. They are significantly more powerful than the same sized open loop steppers are way faster because they are closed loop and don't require the overrating and never lose position. In the rare case I get one to fault (crash due to bad g code), they simply fault and send a signal to disable or estop the system. Since transitioning to closed loop steppers, I could never imagine using an open loop setup again. Smoother, quieter, faster, stronger, no tuning required, they come with long lead harnesses that take less than 2 minutes to connect. If your dealing with motor and driver issues and you're convinced it's them I would take the plunge for as cheap as it Is! Happy to give you my contacts information!
Last edit: 05 Nov 2016 02:11 by Lcvette.

More
05 Nov 2016 02:22 - 05 Nov 2016 02:29 #82475 by Contract_Pilot
I do not even want to think about swapping the NEMA 42 Dual Shaft Stepper on the Z and 34 on the X there would be no room for the encoder or additional length in the stepper. I would have to design and machine an entire different mounting system both axis. At that point it will go to the scrap yard after I beat the hell out of it with a sledge and get some oxy/acetylene cutting practice!

I do not think it is the drives or steppers. Maybe the PC but was told latency should not really matter with mesa card.
Last edit: 05 Nov 2016 02:29 by Contract_Pilot.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds