Adding real time modules to pathpilot possible?

More
25 Oct 2017 01:14 #100771 by smgvbest
Andy, once a user gets the pathpilot (PP) source it's no different than doing things with linuxcnc IMHO.
With the original source I can compile modules and pretty much do anything. Like any GUI you have to learn how it works. I'd be going thru the same things with any gui built for linuxcnc, it's just PP is its own animal to deal with.

the Shininess is the draw for sure and what many don'' realize is you have to learn linuxcnc not just PP. it's not a shortcut for sure. I'm learning allot about linuxcnc in learning how PP works. I've even modified the PP gui for some things I want for my lathe and am working on a vfd configuration gui as part of PP. I personally have stayed away from linuxcnc because of the interface. i find none of worked for me until PP. I'm a visual person and a clean gui means the world to me. that's just me though and for myself to make it work is worth it.

for anyone wanting to use PP i highly suggest getting the source code (I can find nothing on the disk they provide which would prevent us from sharing it btw) and building a dev machine and learn. for me i'm a system programmer (mainframe) digging into code and fixing things is what I do. I really want to decouple PP and make it much more adaptable to normal users.

I just wanted to address the shininess comment in this. I mean no disrespect to anyone with my views on gui's it's purely my opinion for myself.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2017 01:31 #100774 by DaOne
Its a shame that its based on such an old version of LinuxCNC and Ubuntu . I would love to see this merge but I think if that was going to happen it would have already done so. The shininess to me is simply the interface. What would be amazing is a pncconf / stepconf style wizard that sets up simple machines for people coming from Mach3. Simple machines are pretty straight forward once you figure out the differences / requirements between pathpilot and LinuxCNC. I plan to play with 2.7 on another drive as well. What screen would you recommend starting with? I am leaning towards Axis.

More
25 Oct 2017 08:54 #100782 by andypugh

the Shininess is the draw for sure and what many don'' realize is you have to learn linuxcnc not just PP.

It just seems unfortunate that they have stripped out so many useful bits of LinuxCNC.

Nearly every time I try to help with a PP problem it appears that the too or setting I suggest doesn't exist.

More
25 Oct 2017 08:58 #100784 by andypugh

I really need mux4 for the MPG. The buttons I will do in hal with what I have to work with.

Halcompile itself is writtten in Python, so that should be very portable.

Kernel modules (like mux4.ko) need to be compiled against the correct kernel, so taking a binary from another LinuxCNC distribution might not be much help.

This is Halcompile: github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/master...l/utils/halcompile.g

Save it to /usr/bin, change the name to lose the .g and make it executable, see if that works.

You will also need to "sudo apt-get install build-essential" to make sure you have the compilers set up.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds