Fitting an encoder on a Tormach 1100

More
30 Apr 2020 17:52 #166232 by snowgoer540

Sorry to resurrect a really old thread.

I am looking to do just this with my 110S3. I was wondering if it was still working great, and also if you could guide me as to what encoder you used, gears, etc. Grateful for any information you can send my way. Obviously there is a ton here already which is awesome!

Thanks!

-Greg

What is the 110S3 as I don't recognise it? If it is similar to mine I can give you my custom files for the encoder and mpg's I also have the dxf files for the encoder mounts and the pulleys.

I used a 7i85s for the encoder inputs. the high speed encoder was from china about £15

I copied the design from this vid

Sorry about that, I edited the original post to fix the machine Make and Model and make more clear. Tormach 1100 Series 3. I cant remember what series you said you had (if you did). But I would love the files! That would be incredibly appreciated. I have a 7i85S that I was going to sell, but then realized I could use to make this upgrade. Rigid tapping is the dream!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2020 18:14 #166235 by Clive S
Ok Mine is a 1100-3 as well.

I will get some stuff together tomorrow and see what I can find. What version of PP are you on.

some pics the 7i85s photos.app.goo.gl/TugTAwGqZEKorRfMA

All the mpg's and encoder are connected to the 7i85s ( A big thanks to Peter (PWM) and AndyPugh that were a big help for me as a none machinist to be able to do it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, snowgoer540

More
30 Apr 2020 18:26 #166238 by snowgoer540

I will get some stuff together tomorrow and see what I can find. What version of PP are you on.

All the mpg's and encoder are connected to the 7i85s ( A big thanks to Peter (PWM) and AndyPugh that were a big help for me as a none machinist to be able to do it.

I'm on the newest version.

Man, that's so cool! Did you do the spindle speed to encoder 1:1?

Also, were you able to change PP to use the encoder to do spindle speed? I find that it's inherently inaccurate as it stands, and in addition to rigid tapping, would be a welcomed upgrade. But maybe making the mods to the hal file does this by default?

More
30 Apr 2020 18:37 #166240 by Clive S

Also, were you able to change PP to use the encoder to do spindle speed? I find that it's inherently inaccurate as it stands, and in addition to rigid tapping, would be a welcomed upgrade. But maybe making the mods to the hal file does this by default?

The encoder has to be 1:1 and syncs the spindle to the Z axis. So if the spindle slows down the z will slow as well and so keep in sync.

I have made a crib sheet of where to amend the hal file. I will get it together tomorrow

More
30 Apr 2020 19:21 - 30 Apr 2020 19:29 #166243 by snowgoer540

The encoder has to be 1:1 and syncs the spindle to the Z axis. So if the spindle slows down the z will slow as well and so keep in sync.

I have made a crib sheet of where to amend the hal file. I will get it together tomorrow

I remember when I started down this path the first time (about a year ago before ADD kicked in), I had a hard time finding an encoder that would do 5140 rpm.

I’m stoked on this. I may do the jog MPGs too. They look so sweet.
Last edit: 30 Apr 2020 19:29 by snowgoer540.

More
01 May 2020 12:30 #166309 by Clive S
Ok these are the mpg's it.aliexpress.com/item/32815460713.html?...1.0.0.27424c4durIgWw
and the encoder it.aliexpress.com/item/32815460713.html?...1.0.0.27424c4durIgWw
make sure it has A+B+Z mine is single ended but differential would be nice.
I have put some dxf files in the zip file. on the encoder mount I used a bearing on the shaft in the mount to take any load of the encoder
The 28 tooth gear in did on the mill with a recess underneath with 6 magnets and 3 grub screws to hold it in position I also put a flange on the encoder gear as well to help to keep the belt in place.
I generally take the belt off when not being used.
There is a bit of test code here that worked for me: forum.linuxcnc.org/pathpilot/34005-fitti...1100?start=50#109484
I used a connector off the mesa 5i25 port similar to this www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IDE26-To-DB25-Female-...d:g:8PAAAOSwj3Nee2J0

Then used a 25pin cable to the control box where the 7i85s is mounted shown in a previous pic.

You will need the bit file 5i25_t2_7i85s.bit that is in the Zip file with ini and hal files

File Attachment:

File Name: tormach.zip
File Size:113 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: Tormachupd...ions.txt
File Size:1 KB

To update Tormach with a new tgp file ie 2.4.3

First copy old config folder to desktop
 then update to the new file and make sure the software runs.

Log files for errors in here    /home/operator/gcode/logfiles

Then follow below:-

Put this bit file   5i25_t2_7i85s.bit
in  Mesa      /home/operator/tmc/mesa

Copy this to     tormach_mill_base.ini     file
Replace the original config line with this:-

"config= num_encoders=4 num_pwmgens=1 num_3pwmgens=0 num_stepgens=5 "
BITFILE0=mesa/5i25_t2_7i85s.bit

Copy custom_encoder_ilowpass.hal to v2.4.3\configs\tormach_mill 

In the  tormach_mill_base.ini under {HAL]  add this:-
HALFILE = custom_encoder_ilowpass.hal

From the   tormach_mill_mesa.hal   file comment out as below

########################################################################
# DPLL configuration

#####setp hm2_[HOSTMOT2](BOARD).0.dpll.01.timer-us [HOSTMOT2](DPLL_TIMER_US)

# default is -1 which means don't use the DPLL timer and simply sample on read()
# set to 1 for Ethernet boards to use DPLL timer 1 and sample 100 micro seconds
# before the nominal servo thread read() time

#####setp hm2_[HOSTMOT2](BOARD).0.stepgen.timer-number  [HOSTMOT2](DPLL_TIMER_NUMBER)

And
######net spindle-rps  tormachspindle.speed-out-rps  motion.spindle-speed-in
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
01 May 2020 13:48 #166315 by snowgoer540

Ok these are the mpg's it.aliexpress.com/item/32815460713.html?...1.0.0.27424c4durIgWw
and the encoder it.aliexpress.com/item/32815460713.html?...1.0.0.27424c4durIgWw
make sure it has A+B+Z mine is single ended but differential would be nice.
I have put some dxf files in the zip file. on the encoder mount I used a bearing on the shaft in the mount to take any load of the encoder
The 28 tooth gear in did on the mill with a recess underneath with 6 magnets and 3 grub screws to hold it in position I also put a flange on the encoder gear as well to help to keep the belt in place.
I generally take the belt off when not being used.
There is a bit of test code here that worked for me: forum.linuxcnc.org/pathpilot/34005-fitti...1100?start=50#109484
I used a connector off the mesa 5i25 port similar to this www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IDE26-To-DB25-Female-...d:g:8PAAAOSwj3Nee2J0

Then used a 25pin cable to the control box where the 7i85s is mounted shown in a previous pic.

You will need the bit file 5i25_t2_7i85s.bit that is in the Zip file with ini and hal files

File Attachment:

File Name: tormach.zip
File Size:113 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: Tormachupd...ions.txt
File Size:1 KB

To update Tormach with a new tgp file ie 2.4.3

First copy old config folder to desktop
 then update to the new file and make sure the software runs.

Log files for errors in here    /home/operator/gcode/logfiles

Then follow below:-

Put this bit file   5i25_t2_7i85s.bit
in  Mesa      /home/operator/tmc/mesa

Copy this to     tormach_mill_base.ini     file
Replace the original config line with this:-

"config= num_encoders=4 num_pwmgens=1 num_3pwmgens=0 num_stepgens=5 "
BITFILE0=mesa/5i25_t2_7i85s.bit

Copy custom_encoder_ilowpass.hal to v2.4.3\configs\tormach_mill 

In the  tormach_mill_base.ini under {HAL]  add this:-
HALFILE = custom_encoder_ilowpass.hal

From the   tormach_mill_mesa.hal   file comment out as below

########################################################################
# DPLL configuration

#####setp hm2_[HOSTMOT2](BOARD).0.dpll.01.timer-us [HOSTMOT2](DPLL_TIMER_US)

# default is -1 which means don't use the DPLL timer and simply sample on read()
# set to 1 for Ethernet boards to use DPLL timer 1 and sample 100 micro seconds
# before the nominal servo thread read() time

#####setp hm2_[HOSTMOT2](BOARD).0.stepgen.timer-number  [HOSTMOT2](DPLL_TIMER_NUMBER)

And
######net spindle-rps  tormachspindle.speed-out-rps  motion.spindle-speed-in

Thank you so much Clive, I really appreciate it!! I owe you a beer! :laugh:

I saw earlier in this thread that you went form a 2000ppr encoder to 1000ppr. Any reason for that?

More
01 May 2020 14:09 #166323 by Clive S
Its some time ago but most likely the speed I needed one that could do 5000 revs but thinking about it. the one I used was single ended.

I don't think it make any difference. Just change the scale in the custom_encoder_ilowpass.hal

More
01 May 2020 16:23 #166338 by snowgoer540

Its some time ago but most likely the speed I needed one that could do 5000 revs but thinking about it. the one I used was single ended.

I don't think it make any difference. Just change the scale in the custom_encoder_ilowpass.hal

Good deal, easy enough..

Do you happen to have step files for the parts? Fusion opens the DXFs kinda wonky.

More
01 May 2020 17:51 #166347 by Clive S

Do you happen to have step files for the parts? Fusion opens the DXFs kinda wonky.

No sorry, I did them in Acad and put them into Vcarve for the cam. and exported them out as DXF.

They open fine for me in Fusion "encoder upstand base"

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds