Upgrade to PP 2.xx on Tormach 1100 series 1 from Mach 3

More
11 Sep 2019 02:49 #144774 by Ilikeapples
I would like to upgrade to PP 2.xx on my 1100 series 1 without having to upgrade it to series 3 first. I’m currently running Mach 3. I have another computer I can setup to run Ubuntu so I can keep running Mach until everything works, then what? Install Linuxcnc? Then I was planning on the Mesa Card 5i25 and 7i76 BOB And can I just get the $25 PP USB drive from Tormach? I’m pretty sure I’ll have to control my spindle separately which is fine until can get a VFD running. A lot of the info I’ve seen is usually non Tormach machines, I’m sure someone has crossed this bridge before, please point me in the right direction! Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Sep 2019 03:42 #144777 by PCW
If you are going to run PathPilot, all you need is the Path Pilot USB installer drive and a
spare PC

I'm pretty sure theres someone on the LinuxCNC forum that is using a 5I25+7I76
so would have sample config files for that hardware setup.

If you already have the Tormach breakout, you should be able to use that also
instead of the 7I76, though i don't know much about Tormach breakout versions

More
11 Sep 2019 05:57 #144781 by pl7i92
if you are on Mach and doing a full remake
so
why not the ETH version
7i76E
and going to full linuxcnc
no need to spend 25USD on a USB Stick while the new DVD is for free

and you benefit from all the infos on forum
you got a bunch of GUI you can use
you can make coustomizasion

so WHY PP

More
11 Sep 2019 11:31 #144812 by Ilikeapples
The USB with pathpilot 2.0 from Tormach would have Ubuntu already? The original Tormach breakout was made by them I believe, not sure how much info is out on that board. I’m fine with setting up another machine with the Mesa boards so I have Mach as a backup machine, also at some point I will be setting up a plasma CNC, so I have to learn this part anyhow.

More
11 Sep 2019 11:39 #144813 by Ilikeapples

if you are on Mach and doing a full remake
so
why not the ETH version
7i76E
and going to full linuxcnc
no need to spend 25USD on a USB Stick while the new DVD is for free

and you benefit from all the infos on forum
you got a bunch of GUI you can use
you can make coustomizasion

so WHY PP

Where can I get the DVD for free? I’m totally open to other GUI’s I’ve only really seen PP and Mach and PP looks awesome compared to Mach 3. The conversational milling is what I really liked, and thread milling, which Linux based GUI (besides PP) would be similar to that or better? Can you do thread milling in them?

More
17 Sep 2019 13:39 #145389 by andypugh
None of the LinuxCNC GUIs d conversational quite as prettily as PP.
But there is this:

More
17 Sep 2019 20:34 - 17 Sep 2019 20:35 #145433 by belli
Hi Apples,

The upgrade to PP is definitely worth it. You could also try the raw LCNC but there are many features that you will miss (conversational programming), etc. Machines up to Serial 200 had the earliest BOB and didn't support some spindle speed features (there was no VFD in the box). The later ones were pretty much what they have now, the BOB design hasn't really changed.
So, questions:
What is the part number of your BOB?
Do you have the spindle upgrade (inverter)?
Are your stepper drives Leadshine or Prodrive (Gecko clones)?

I doubt that you will have any difficulty upgrading, your .ini might need a bit of tweaking but that is all.

Cheers,
Last edit: 17 Sep 2019 20:35 by belli.

More
17 Sep 2019 22:40 #145464 by Ilikeapples

Hi Apples,

The upgrade to PP is definitely worth it. You could also try the raw LCNC but there are many features that you will miss (conversational programming), etc. Machines up to Serial 200 had the earliest BOB and didn't support some spindle speed features (there was no VFD in the box). The later ones were pretty much what they have now, the BOB design hasn't really changed.
So, questions:
What is the part number of your BOB?
Do you have the spindle upgrade (inverter)?
Are your stepper drives Leadshine or Prodrive (Gecko clones)?

I doubt that you will have any difficulty upgrading, your .ini might need a bit of tweaking but that is all.

Cheers,

My serial number is 325 built in 2007. I’ll have to look at the bob for part number when I get home Thursday, but it’s very large and doesn’t look like today’s bob’s. Definitely not leadshine steppers, and I’m not sure about the spindle upgrade but I doubt it. My VFD is a board with a bunch of pots on it. I bought the usb stick with 2.0 and put it on a Dell T5500. Now I think I need the 5i25 and then the 7i92? As far as the .ini goes, is it complicated to tweak? Thanks!

More
18 Sep 2019 16:51 #145521 by andypugh

My serial number is 325 built in 2007. I’ll have to look at the bob for part number when I get home Thursday, but it’s very large and doesn’t look like today’s bob’s. Definitely not leadshine steppers, and I’m not sure about the spindle upgrade but I doubt it. My VFD is a board with a bunch of pots on it. I bought the usb stick with 2.0 and put it on a Dell T5500. Now I think I need the 5i25 and then the 7i92? As far as the .ini goes, is it complicated to tweak? Thanks!

There is a reasonable chance that you can configure LinuxCNC / PathPilot to work with the existing hardware (if it doesn't already)

More
18 Sep 2019 17:09 - 18 Sep 2019 17:12 #145525 by belli
Yes, the early ones had Prodrives (Gecko clones) that had 10 micro steps, PP is designed around the Leadshine drives that (I think) are using 16 micro steps. This is a fairly easy change to make in the .ini. I'm not sure about the spindle, I have one of the 'spindle drives' with the pots on but haven't bothered to figure out what it is or how it works.

If you use a 5i25 or possibly the 6i25 then the change is very easy. I have no knowledge if the 7i92 will play nicely as I don't know if there is a 1100 firmware for it, Uncle Peter would know better.
Last edit: 18 Sep 2019 17:12 by belli.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds