Upgrade to PP 2.xx on Tormach 1100 series 1 from Mach 3

More
19 Sep 2019 19:13 #145618 by Ilikeapples
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2019 20:50 #145624 by Ilikeapples

Is there any sign of a Mach3 XML file? If there is then you could be up and running with LinuxCNC very quickly, as the "stepconf" wizard can import a Mach XML file.

Even if you don't plan to use the parallel port I think that this might be a useful exercise for the time it takes.

I searched XML and a bunch of stuff came up, XML tweak, tweak package and so on,there was a folder named “xmlbackups” in the Mach3 folder and the only file in there was “Mach3Mill.xb1”

More
19 Sep 2019 21:07 - 19 Sep 2019 21:08 #145628 by belli
Art wrote a special driver for Tormach, it uses a frequency (500-10.9kHz) for spindle speed. The earlier ones might have used a different frequency (250-5kHz?), there is a PIC on the BOB that measures the freq. and converts it to an analogue signal (via PWM I guess). I think it was done this way initially so that the PIC could handshake with the Mach3 to verify that it was a Tormach install but I doubt it was ever implemented. Uncle Peter will know what freq. the Mesa card generates today.

The reason I think the PP install is trivial is that the basic limit switches and step/dir has remained unchanged. You could install PP and the 'only' change would be to 'recalibrate' the axis (10/16 steps) and I think you would be up and running. This is a very easy thing to do and you could enjoy all the PP updates too without fear of having to re-hack the install everytime.

Running the spindle would take some figuring out as while I have one of those spindle drives, I have no documents for it and it is not installed in a machine.

PS Apples, post the .xb1 file It will offer enough info.
Last edit: 19 Sep 2019 21:08 by belli.

More
20 Sep 2019 10:57 #145656 by Ilikeapples

PS Apples, post the .xb1 file It will offer enough info.

Its not an allowed file extension to attach here, what do I need to open it?

More
20 Sep 2019 11:25 #145659 by andypugh
Just change the extension to .txt

More
20 Sep 2019 11:54 #145661 by Ilikeapples

Just change the extension to .txt

txt file attached

File Attachment:

File Name: Mach3Mill.txt
File Size:89 KB
Attachments:

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds