Swapping Max Velocity for Max Rapid

More
04 Jan 2020 21:10 #154023 by snowgoer540
I was wondering how difficult it is to swap the Max Velocity slider for a Max Rapid slider. I suspect that most users do not realize that Max Velocity can clip both feed moves, and rapid moves depending on what percentage of max velocity you choose. My suspicion is that most users think they are only affecting max rapid, but this is not the case. I've yet to come up for a good counter argument as to why Max Velocity is more valuable over Max Rapid.

At any rate, if there is anyone who can walk me through how to make this change, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jan 2020 21:16 #154024 by smgvbest
without looking into code and making an assumption.
the assumption is code already exist for max rapid.
if it does then it would be as simple as editing the .glade file and changing the call back to the max rapid function.

if one did not exist you would first have to write the new function then change the .glade to call that new function.

the other thing would be to change the max velocity graphic in the .glade file as well for appearance sake

so basically every function that in the PP gui is a call back routine when an action happens in the gui. the gui is defined by the *.glade files. the *.py files contain the actual code.

that's the very high level of what needs to be done

More
04 Jan 2020 21:18 #154026 by snowgoer540

without looking into code and making an assumption.
the assumption is code already exist for max rapid.
if it does then it would be as simple as editing the .glade file and changing the call back to the max rapid function.

if one did not exist you would first have to write the new function then change the .glade to call that new function.

the other thing would be to change the max velocity graphic in the .glade file as well for appearance sake

so basically every function that in the PP gui is a call back routine when an action happens in the gui. the gui is defined by the *.glade files. the *.py files contain the actual code.

that's the very high level of what needs to be done

Ok, that makes sense. How would I figure out whether or not they trashed the max rapid function? I would have to imagine if it's not there, I could pretty easily grab it from a config like gmoccapy, correct?

More
04 Jan 2020 21:27 #154029 by smgvbest
you could look at how it's implemented in another GUI and find the code.
then locate the max velocity code in PP and add the max rapid code just after it.

look at both and compare, you may have to change parameter names to match what PP uses.

once that's done make the change to the .glade file

keep in mind. once you make this type of change whenever you do a update in PP you code and glade changes will be lost and must be replaced

one way around that is to create a private github with the PP code and glade files.
then do a compare on what Tormach changes and merge their changes into yours.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.068 seconds