fresh PathPilot install from recovery USB - bootable device not detected

More
24 Dec 2022 00:54 #260205 by FirstAscent
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to do a fresh install of PathPilot on an Intel NUC, which I'm sure will have it's own challenges but for now I want to make sure I'm understanding what the recovery USB is for. 

I should be able to do a full/fresh install from the recovery USB onto a new SSD, correct?

I can boot to the USB just fine, it goes through a few steps, recognizes the SSD as the correct destination drive, reformats it, and finishes with no errors. 
However, when I reboot, it can't boot to the SSD and I just get an error on screen
'A bootable device has not been detected'

The USB should do a full install right??

Thank you!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Dec 2022 01:44 #260210 by smgvbest
Yes it should,
But make sure the PC is set for a UEFI boot not master boot record.

More
24 Dec 2022 02:54 #260213 by FirstAscent
thanks, yes I did check that. however in checking that I noticed a few things. I do not have the option to disable UEFI boot, intel stopped supporting it on newer NUC's.

For what it's worth, the PP version I received on the recovery disk is 2.8.3

More
24 Dec 2022 05:22 - 24 Dec 2022 06:49 #260222 by FirstAscent
Ok I made some great progress, but not in a way I wanted.

Looks like UEFI boot is the issue and it will not work with it. Do you have it working with UEFI?

I installed it in VMware and had the exact same result where it appeared to install OK but then wouldn't recognize a bootable drive.

When I went into the VM settings and changed the VM BIOS from UEFI to BIOS, it immediately booted up to the Tormach screen.

this specific Intel NUC will not support Legacy, non UEFI bios.

But linuxCNC supports UEFI doesn't it?
Last edit: 24 Dec 2022 06:49 by FirstAscent.

More
24 Dec 2022 12:20 #260232 by tommylight
LinuxCNC does not deal with BIOS or UEFI, Linux does.
Is "secure boot" disabled?
See if there is something like " legacy" and/or CMS and enable those.

More
24 Dec 2022 17:18 #260251 by FirstAscent
Correct, linux not linuxcnc :)

Yes secure boot is disabled as well.

There is no option to enable legacy boot on this PC. It is only UEFI on the Intel NUC 11’s, they officially stopped supporting it. I found a document on Intel‘s website last night.
The previous gen NUC 10 was the last to support legacy boot.

I wonder if I’d have to get the pathpilot source disk. I found another thread on here I’m able to request that instead of just the recovery USB

More
24 Dec 2022 18:17 #260253 by tommylight
Does it have an SSD or NVME disk?
Is the NVME a serial ATA or PCI-E?
Do you have another PC?
The idea is to yank the drive and install it on another PC, do the recovery/install, then place back the drive.
Usually this works, although on new PC's it's becomming very agrevating. Microsoft is ploping a lot of money to stop PC's from booting anything, while they are developing their own version of Linux.

More
24 Dec 2022 18:55 #260258 by FirstAscent
It’s an m.2 NVME, pci-e disk. Latest and greatest.

I have a few computers, I may be able to throw it in a laptop however I’m not following how that would help.

I can boot to the recovery usb just fine, it does the “install” copying its image over. That all works successfully.
But then afterwards I can’t boot to the new image (nvme drive).

My understanding is that Linux will install either UEFI or legacy/bios depending which state it’s in at time of install. But this isn’t necessarily “installing” Linux, it’s just copying over a previous image from the recovery usb which was probably based on legacy BIOS.

Which makes sense because when I tried installing it on my VM, it acted the exact same way but the second I changed the setting (since it’s a VM) from UEFI to BIOS it immediately booted up.

With that being said, I can still try in my laptop with the same nvme drive

More
29 Dec 2022 20:38 #260509 by FirstAscent
I've got this resolved somewhat for now but not with UEFI.

As I mentioned, Intel no longer supports Legacy BIOS including the NUC 11. However their previous gen, the NUC 10, it was still supported.

I installed it on a NUC 10 with the same m.2 NVME drive, enabled legacy (disabled UEFI) and it installed and booted up with no issues at all.

I'd still like to get it working with UEFI someday, especially since it is supported by linux Mint.

So if anyone comes across this and is looking to do the same, I can say it installed with absolutely no issues on a NUC 10 from the PathPilot recovery USB, simply have to disable UEFI. I also downloaded and updated to the latest PathPilot 2.9.2 with no issues as well.

Important, I'm only running it in SIM mode right now but I suspect everything should work.

I do not have WiFi working yet with the built in adapter, I'll work on that next.

More
02 Jan 2023 11:08 #260760 by FirstAscent
another quick update, finally have pathpilot (linuxmint really) recognizing my ethernet adapter, which for my NUC10 is an Intel I219-V

I downloaded the driver from Intel directly, version 3.8.4
I had to copy it over via USB but I now have hardwired internet access so I know it is now recognized fully.

Of course with PP, the ethernet adapter will be used to connect to the machine but I'm happy the adapter is at least working.

making progress...

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds