Parameter to know when a machine has been in an e-stop condition

More
07 Mar 2023 21:25 #266068 by EncoderGuy
I am implementing a Tormach 8L lathe on a manufacturing production floor with non-machinists, and I am trying to poka-yoke the changeover process. I am looking for a way to know if the machine was in an e-stop condition. Is there a parameter that I can read to do this? Alternatively, is there a way to leverage the IO module to determine if the machine was pulled out of an e-stop condition?

Here is the backstory...the parts have bearings in them and the stationary portion is held in a steady-rest fixture while the rotating part is driven from the spindle. There are two different parts that we run in the machine...lets call them A and B. There is a steady-rest fixture for each part and they have different Z offsets. I am using a  Tormach 50355 Passive Probe to touch off Z on the part and set G54 to define the work offset. When we switch the steady-rest fixture I have to run a homing routine which basically calibrates the machine to the steady-rest fixture. I want to make sure that the machine gets calibrated every time the steady-rest fixture is removed/replaced and I know that an e-stop will occur when the fixture is changed.

Thank you for your assistance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2023 21:59 #266078 by andypugh
A simple (Probably Python) HAL component could monitor the machine state and write data to a file if an e-stop occurs. (Or even set a HAL pin)

What needs to know? This will help decide how to make the data available.

You might even be able to just use a HAL latch component:
linuxcnc.org/docs/stable/html/man/man9/estop_latch.9.html
Would probably work (it's a bit overkill).
You would need to connect "fault" to a suitable HAL pin (which reflects the machine state) and probably "setp" the OK input permanently true.
After calibration your routine would then need to toggle the reset pin.

More
08 Mar 2023 16:14 #266121 by EncoderGuy
The cutting program needs to be blocked from running.

Perhaps said more clearly; after clearing an e-stop, the homing program must successfully run prior to permitting the cutting program to command motion.

I have not used HAL components yet, and was hoping to use a parameter or tool table offset to do this.

For other lock-outs, I have successfully used global, user-defined parameters in g-code to ensure sequencing has been followed. For example, when the homing routine for part A starts, I set #<_Homing_Complete_A> = 0 & #<_Homing_Complete_B> = 0. At the very end of the homing program I set #<_Homing_Complete_A> = 1. Then, at the start of the cutting program for part A (prior to commanding any motion) I check if #<_Homing_Complete_A> = 1 and proceed if true.

More
08 Mar 2023 17:16 #266127 by andypugh

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.065 seconds