Laser CNC - first steps.

More
26 Dec 2017 14:18 #103650 by aleksamc
Hi all.

We are going to build our first laser cnc michine, based on linuxcnc. We alredy have price for optic laser generator 1kW and laser head. We will use similar laser to thet in video

But we don't know anything about proceses for laser cutting.
Does any body can tell some details of working with lasers? What technical process for cutting? How to control such laser and how to control it's power? How to control height of cutting?

We want to use servodrives for fast moving?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Dec 2017 15:09 #103661 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Laser CNC - first steps.

We want to use servodrives for fast moving?

You may not need to, as there are no cutting forces you might find that steppers work.

But as I expect that this is not a cheap machine stepper motors might be a false economy.

More
26 Dec 2017 15:38 #103670 by aleksamc
Replied by aleksamc on topic Laser CNC - first steps.
Yes, motors is the second qestion. It's very interesting to know details for controling that lasers. Maybe any body have any schems for them to look what signals we should have under control?

More
26 Dec 2017 15:48 #103672 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Laser CNC - first steps.
I would imagine just intensity (probably controlled by "S"). I guess that some machines might have adjustable focal length.
Is the air-blast normally controlled more subtly than off/on?

More
28 Dec 2017 08:17 #103780 by aleksamc
Replied by aleksamc on topic Laser CNC - first steps.
I looked in different manuals and it seems that controlling fiber laser doesn't have any differences form CO2 laser.
Laser controls with buttons on/off and PWM power input.

But very interesting one moment about focus controlling of laser. It moves laser head in Z direction dependently on the distance to the cutting shape. Such controlling systems are present in the market and ready for use with amplifiers of distance sensor. But what sensor they are use? Does any body knows it?

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.255 seconds