New Plasma Build

More
05 Aug 2018 13:05 #115636 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic New Plasma Build
Bob, one of the other things I did after using it was to add an adjustment screw on the opposite side to the proximity sensor.

This let me adjust the mechanism so there was minimal movement on the slide before the float switch sensor tripped.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2018 13:13 #115637 by rodw
And my home made magnetic torch breakaway. MK II as the first idea failed.
Rounded dowels were machined using a ball turner on my manual lathe. Proximity sensor used as a sensor.

I think if I did it again, I'd be lazy and buy one of these snapncut.com/

More
05 Aug 2018 14:07 #115639 by tecno
Replied by tecno on topic New Plasma Build
That looks good!
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
06 Aug 2018 03:38 #115663 by islander261
Replied by islander261 on topic New Plasma Build
Sorry guys I'm a bit late to the party. My floating head has about .25" of mechanical travel. The micro switch isn't adjustable leaving me with .09" of offset.

Rod

Nice looking magnetic break away. Mine is modeled after seanp's on Plasmaspiders design and works very well, I have posted photos showing it on other topics. I have a mechanical switch and it is very sensitive, a PITA sometimes but it really does save the bacon when hitting a tip up. When the switch finally dies I will replace it with a small prox switch like the HT one uses.

Just a quick refresher I used three about 12mm ball bearings for the locating features ( the old three points define a plane and on an equal lateral triangle so the sesitivity is the same from all directions) and the magnet is out of a hard drive to hold the parts together. The only points of contact are the three locating bearings ( glued to one side of the assembly).

John

More
07 Aug 2018 02:57 #115715 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic New Plasma Build
Floating Z axis for plasma head.

More
14 Aug 2018 12:29 #116042 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic New Plasma Build
Catching up...

An option for a floating Z might be leaf-spring suspension. A pair of leaves top and bottom should hold a torch in place repeatedly. No wear parts and nothing to get fouled by grit.
For extra fun you can strain-gauge the flexures as the sensing element.
This isn't entirely my idea, it's based on the Z-height adjusters of a set of machines I used to work on, used to set strikers sub-micron distances above chip wafers to mechanically test bonds .

I wonder if magnetic handbag clasps could be used for a break-away system? I bought some for a project and they do give the impression that they "want" to be used for this sort of task, if mounted in triples.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
24 Jul 2019 17:33 #140441 by Clive S
Replied by Clive S on topic New Plasma Build

Sorry guys I'm a bit late to the party. My floating head has about .25" of mechanical travel. The micro switch isn't adjustable leaving me with .09" of offset.

Rod

Nice looking magnetic break away. Mine is modeled after seanp's on Plasmaspiders design and works very well, I have posted photos showing it on other topics. I have a mechanical switch and it is very sensitive, a PITA sometimes but it really does save the bacon when hitting a tip up. When the switch finally dies I will replace it with a small prox switch like the HT one uses.

Just a quick refresher I used three about 12mm ball bearings for the locating features ( the old three points define a plane and on an equal lateral triangle so the sesitivity is the same from all directions) and the magnet is out of a hard drive to hold the parts together. The only points of contact are the three locating bearings ( glued to one side of the assembly).

John

John . I have just come across this do you have a link to the photo's of it. How are the ball bearings mounted?

Thanks

More
24 Jul 2019 20:05 #140466 by islander261
Replied by islander261 on topic New Plasma Build
The bearing balls are glued in with JB Weld on my version of this which is closer to Sean's Mk1 design.

www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=103...499&p=152510#p152510

www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=103...279&p=117983#p117983

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

More
24 Jul 2019 22:45 #140482 by rodw
I had to find a reason to use the ball turner I made so I machined the end of a dowel (which is glued in cos, I got the tolerances wrong for a press fit....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

More
25 Jul 2019 07:30 #140510 by Clive S
Replied by Clive S on topic New Plasma Build

I had to find a reason to use the ball turner I made so I machined the end of a dowel (which is glued in cos, I got the tolerances wrong for a press fit....

I have a small lathe Myford S7 this is the creature that got me in to linuxcnc so I should be able to make the dowel ends. If I can work out the code.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds