Puddle Jump Height and Puddle Jump Delay Values

More
06 Nov 2019 05:01 #149672 by jawneelogik
Wow, don't you guys ever sleep? What time is it down there? I'm in Texas BTW.

I know, I should just go for it. I suppose I could setup an image on a stick and boot-up off of that just to try things out. I've still got my parallel port, although I would really prefer to go with a Mesa board (7i96?) with THCAD as well (using Proma 150 now).

I suppose another concern I have would be the lack of limit switches on my current configuration. My BOB is out of inputs. I do have one switch input for touch-off. Doesn't Plasmac require homing capability?

Regarding the piercing capability issue, I specifically chose the Hypertherm PM85 because it is the only machine on the market that will run on single phase power (240V) and still pierce 3/4" (19mm) steel. Hypertherm runs much higher arc voltage than other machines of similar current rating. In fact, I do recall having a conversation with you well in the past on one of the other forums about this vary issue. We both owned Everlast Power Plasma 60s machines, no? The specs for that machine would lead a person to believe that it could do what the HT machine can do, but the voltage driving the current is waaay down from what the HT units put out. I know, I tested both with a meter while cutting and there's no comparison. All these machines are advertised and sold based on their current rating, but it's watts that does the cutting and that requires voltage.

The problem I have with slag build-up during the pierce phase really only affects hole cutting and even then only if the holes are smaller than an inch. The slag pile is laying right in the cut path and, at cut height (1.5mm or less), there is just no way the torch tip is not going to hit it then hangup. I don't have a break-away torch holder so it results in the torch tip jumping around once enough pressure is exerted by the drive motors.

One interesting thing of note regarding the HT PowerMax line of cutters: from the 45XP through the PM 105 they all use the same Duramax torch and consumables. However, when you jump to the PM125 it uses a different torch and it has revised operating parameters, in particular, the pierce and cut height which is about 50% higher off the material. I didn't consider this machine because it requires 3 phase power and that is something that, in my current location, would have been prohibitively expensive to implement (phase converter, etc).

I don't know about you, but I'm going to bed. Thanks for you feedback. cheers, John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Nov 2019 09:20 #149679 by rodw
Well there would be a few people in the US in your time Zone including PCW from Mesa (GMT -6 or so) but you have Clive and Tommy are in the GMT 0 to 1 or so and we Aussies are GMT +10 (except Phill and Stefan insist on running Daylight Saving so they are GMT +11 now).

The 7i96, THCAD-10 for arc volts, a THCAD-5 for Ohmic Hyper sensing will give you enough inputs to have max limit switches on every joint and shared home/limit switches plus enough inputs to run a pneumatic engraver for marking and even a pneumatic drill (which Stefan is playing with). I think the 7i96 is a good option for Plasma because the board includes inbuilt relays. Set your voltage divider to 30:1 and the THCAD-10 does not need a scaling resistor.

If you wanted to use a MPG, you would be better off with a 7i76e but there are options to add that to the 7i96 via a smart serial card.

When you get your Mesa stuff also grab some DIN rail mounts and a Mesa Comm X2 BUS bar and you will have a very compact controller. I've got DXF files for both a single and DUAL THCAD DIN rail mount that use a Meanwell DIN rail mount which should be easy to find globally..

I've never used a Proma but I think you would find it a big step up to move to the Mesa ecosystem. Even Tommy, long a champion of Proma is using the THCAD on his latest builds.

Yes, I had an Everlast 50s. Its interesting that in the US, they sell bigger machines for single phase. Here where domestic mains power is 240 volts, the Hypertherm 65 is only sold as a 3 phase machine. Even the 45XP is available in 3 phase. But looking at the recommended circuit breakers, even the 45XP is much more suited to 3 phase power. I wonder if your piercing issues are related to single phase?

I was almost going to buy a Hypertherm 65 but then lucked onto this 120 amp Thermal Dynamic 120 amp machine at a silly price so went with it. I don't really understand why people bag them out. It seems to be a good machine to my untrained eye. But I did have to buy a refrigerated drier ad I've never had an issue with air supply since.

More
06 Nov 2019 15:12 #149727 by jawneelogik
Whoa cowboy! While I would love it if I could only afford it, I've yet to come anywhere close to repaying my current investment in all this junk. I'm afraid I will have to file all this valuable information for future reference. It is much appreciated though, especially the offer of future support. I thank all of you for contributing your time.

Also, before I make a move in this direction, I feel I owe it to the community to ingest all of the basic information covering LinuxCNC itself. It is quite a complex topic and I don't wish to waste anyone's time with a lot of stupid questions that I could answer for myself by doing a bit more reading on my own. That is also why I think starting with a simple parallel port setup might be easier for me. All I would have to do to start is unplug my UCCNC and replace it with a long parallel cable then start installing software, no?

More
06 Nov 2019 20:36 - 06 Nov 2019 20:37 #149748 by rodw
I can't help you there as I have no experience with UCCNC or parallel ports. Booting into the LiveCD will allow you to play with the many Sims (simulations) that come with LinuxCNC with no hardware attached. Win32DiskImager will allow you to burn the ISO to a USB stick
Last edit: 06 Nov 2019 20:37 by rodw.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds