CandCNC Connection kit on Hypertherm 1100

More
07 Jan 2020 12:11 - 07 Jan 2020 12:12 #154204 by little_sparky
Hello All,

This may be an extremely long shot, but has anyone used a CandCNC universal connection kit to fire their Hypertherm 1100 (or any hypertherm for that matter)?

THE STORY:

I was given a hypertherm 1100 without the optional CNC interface (part number 128144) and as hypertherm do not make this product anymore I have found it extremely difficult to source one, until I came across this thread discussing the universal kit from CandCNC

It seems to be suitable product however there are some connectors that I have no idea what they do and I assume they have designed it for use with their products only. I am using Linux CNC with a mesa 7i76e and THCAD-10.

Does anyone have any information?

Thank you in advance to any replies.

link to home page of the CNC kits so you can click on each component if need be (Digital Current Prove and RAV-02 make up the kit)
Last edit: 07 Jan 2020 12:12 by little_sparky.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2020 12:16 #154205 by thefabricator03
I brought one but I have not used it. Its at the shop so if you can wait unit tomorrow afternoon I will go get it and see if i can draw a diagram for setting it up with the 7i76e and THCAD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: little_sparky

More
07 Jan 2020 12:17 #154206 by little_sparky

I brought one but I have not used it. Its at the shop so if you can wait unit tomorrow afternoon I will go get it and see if i can draw a diagram for setting it up with the 7i76e and THCAD.

Wow that would be awesome! thanks so much

More
07 Jan 2020 12:20 #154207 by thefabricator03
No worries - when I had my CandCNC setup on my machine our facility had a lightning strike and it fired our phone systems and the DTHCII card in the CandCNC unit. I thought my Hypertherm 125 unit connection interface was fired as well so I ordered it and turns out the Hypertherm is much more robust than the CandCNC electronics.

More
08 Jan 2020 09:07 #154293 by thefabricator03
Ok make sure you read and understand the attached PDF named CandCNC RAV02. Then look at the other PDF RAV02 - THCAD10 - 7i76e.

I have to admit that CandCNC have done a good job with the documentation of the RAV02 so make sure you understand everything before you wire it to your machine.

I cannot upload the CandCNC RAV02 pdf because it is too large - Please follow this link, drive.google.com/file/d/1ATzzu1T6rnvmTug...cQE/view?usp=sharing
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: little_sparky

More
15 Aug 2020 02:11 #178224 by little_sparky
So I have finally recived my parts from CandCNC after they had a little 3 month stay over in America and Japan (thanks covid).

I have just realised that the divider ratio on the board is 7:1 and I will be connecting this to the raw volts of the hypertherm 1100 (300 volts I assume), therefore this will leave me with about 43 Volts going into the THCAD10, does this mean it will fry the board and therefore ill need a THCAD-300 or use some sort of resistors?

Any help is appreciated.

More
15 Aug 2020 02:25 #178226 by PCW
It wont fry the board (the THCAD-10 and THCAD-5 will take 500Vcontinuously)
but it will only read up to 10V (or ~70V plasma voltage) If you really have a 7:1
divider and want 300V full scale you would need a 330K 1% series resistor
(in the -IN lead of the THCAD-10)

More
15 Aug 2020 02:29 #178227 by little_sparky
Okay thanks heaps. Your knowledge honestly blows me away PCW, id be lost without you.

So would reading only the ~70V plasma voltage still function properly? The resistor single resistor on the -IN just allows for full scale if you want?

More
15 Aug 2020 03:46 #178229 by rodw
If you only have a 70v full scale reading and you are cutting at 130 volts, the THC will only see 70 volts constantly so it won't be bale to adjust your height. So yes you need a scaling resistor.

The instructions are in the THCAD manual to size it. You might be able to fit it inside a cable backshell.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds