Spark jump from nozzle when ohmic probing with plasmaC

More
15 Feb 2020 17:57 #157469 by JTknives
So it’s been awhile since I was on here. My shop is very busy and generally the plasma table is always backed up. I’m still running a Plasmac from a year ago. Been a little scared to update because everything is running and cutting fine and I can not afford the downtime a hiccup would generate. But I do have weird glitches every once in a while. The most common is probe detected while ohmic. Not even close and some how I’m getting a trip signal on my limit switch. But some times the ohmic works great and then it seams to stop working as it touches the steel and the torch z makes a weird wining sound like it’s probing the top of the sheet and transmitting the stepper auto sound to the sheet. It also takes much longer to probe.

But those issues are livable as I just push pause and it starts agian. But what is worrying me is when I watched the probing close I can see a spark jump from the nozzle to the sheet right before it touches. And it’s jumping a good size gap (quite small in reality but big for 12v). According to my math at 3000v per mm 12v would jump 0.00016“ inches or .004mm. This is much further then that as it normally looks like it’s coming off the side of the nozzle where some back spray is stuck. I through about going through all the wiring again but thought I would ask here to see if anyone has noticed this or have any ideas. Thanks guys.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Feb 2020 20:58 #157487 by tommylight
That is to much of a gap to jump for sure.
Did you check the voltage during the probe?
That might be a voltage differential between the plasma ground ( positive ) and 12V used for probing. Since it is intermitent, i would suggest first checking the plasma source, one of the contacts might remain stuck leaving a part of the transformer active during probe.

More
16 Feb 2020 02:30 #157504 by JTknives
It’s almost like a static spark. I’m wondering if the the table is building up a charge and discharging through the nozzle. Now that I think of it the table is on rubber isolation pads to keep it from sliding on the concrete. I will double check grounding and make sure it’s good. I was un sure about grounding the actual table/controller cabinet as it’s actually positive to the plasma cutter.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds