How to cut thick material from edge

More
13 May 2020 08:29 #167625 by tommylight

The question is how to start cut from the edge not with piercing.

Manually, there are to many variables to be able to automate that.
Jog the torch to the edge, set the offsets, start the cut by pressing F9 or by adding M3 at the top of gcode for that part.
Rinse and repeat .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2020 12:41 #167642 by alexandrub

Yeh, we knew what you meant. I had to find your manual. I am surprised they list edge start for material that thick but the proof is in the pudding

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
13 May 2020 12:44 #167643 by alexandrub

Jog the torch to the edge, set the offsets, start the cut by pressing F9 or by adding M3 at the top of gcode for that part.
Rinse and repeat .

Ok, but i do nit want to cut just a straight line. I want to cut an model, and i can put the lead in outside the material but arc ok report that arc is not ok :).

I do not abuse cutting so thicknes...just some piece.

More
13 May 2020 13:14 #167646 by tommylight
Set the "maximum velocity" slider to the same as cut speed, press f9, then run from here from the beginning of the gcocde.
In this case, remove the M3 in gcode.
You can cut any shape or form as long as you start each one separately.

More
13 May 2020 13:45 #167648 by Clive S

Rinse and repeat .

Ok, but i do nit want to cut just a straight line. I want to cut an model, and i can put the lead in outside the material but arc ok report that arc is not ok :).

I do not abuse cutting so thicknes...just some piece.

Could you not just butt up another piece of steel next to your part and the start the lead in from off the part?

More
13 May 2020 13:46 #167649 by thefabricator03
You need to have your torch just on the edge so when it starts cutting it is cutting steel not air, I do this for line cuts to sever sheets by pulsing the torch and the air will slash water from my water tray up. I then jog the machine until I find the perfect spot to start the cut.

More
13 May 2020 15:23 #167652 by tommylight

You need to have your torch just on the edge so when it starts cutting it is cutting steel not air, .........

Even having the torch about a millimetre or two inside the material works ok, it just sprays sideways a lot.
Centring the torch at the edge is easy, you just have to know from what side to look at it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
14 May 2020 01:18 #167693 by thefabricator03

Even having the torch about a millimetre or two inside the material works ok, it just sprays sideways a lot.
Centring the torch at the edge is easy, you just have to know from what side to look at it.

Yeah that is true. It just comes down to the operators experience with the machine. Starting near the edge even if in a couple of mm sure makes starting a lot easier.

All this talk of trying out the book max specs of the machine has me thinking of trying out 60mm plate, just need to find a use for it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
14 May 2020 10:46 #167720 by tommylight

All this talk of trying out the book max specs of the machine has me thinking of trying out 60mm plate, just need to find a use for it.

I have some ides, but i am to far from everything ! :)
I need some parts for a small mill, but i can not find anything thicker than 20mm here. But i did find 80mm round one, nut i do not need that.

More
14 May 2020 11:13 #167722 by rodw
Well I do know some guys pre-pierce with magnetic drill where they need an inside cut

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.345 seconds