Center marking options.

More
07 Jun 2020 22:12 #170533 by JTknives
So I am looking for options on marking the center point for drilling holes. My company cuts blade blanks for knife makers. Up till now I just use a drill operation on sheet cam and pulse the torch as quick as it can. I get a very very small mark which is perfect. But the issue I have is that the steel I cut is all high carbon or air hardening stainless steels. This means even a micro spot from the torch is now as hard as a rock that can be drilled through. To get around around this I have to center punch with carbide and the use a modified carbide still and drill the center out at 3000rpm. Then I can move on to using standard drill bits to drill the pin holes. With the quantity of blades we process this becomes time consuming and as well as problematic for accuracy. Some times when carbide spot drilling it will glance off the side of the hard zone.

What I’m wondering is if there is a way to incorporate a physical impact punch next to the plasma torch. My thought is use an air cylinder and either use it to shoot a carbide point down into the steel or lower a spring loaded center punch. You guys have any ideas?

Thanks - JT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2020 22:29 #170537 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Center marking options.
Plasmac supports an air engraver put perhaps for you a pneumatic drill will be better.

More
07 Jun 2020 22:37 #170542 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Center marking options.
Can you test this:
Load a gcode that you usually use for centre spotting, but with the edited M3 to point to scribe or pen.
If that works, that would be it, use the scribe or pen output to control a pneumatic ram or whatever you may find useful.
Check the halshow while testing this if it is switching the scribe or pen pin on and off.

More
07 Jun 2020 23:25 #170544 by rodw

Can you test this:
Load a gcode that you usually use for centre spotting, but with the edited M3 to point to scribe or pen.
If that works, that would be it, use the scribe or pen output to control a pneumatic ram or whatever you may find useful.
Check the halshow while testing this if it is switching the scribe or pen pin on and off.

You forgot that Linuxcnc is multi- spindle so loading a tool containing the XY offsets in the normal way (from the tool file )then issuing a M3 $1 is all that is required. More details in the PLasmac user guide.

More
07 Jun 2020 23:36 #170545 by JTknives
Replied by JTknives on topic Center marking options.
I’m kinda thinking of using a 12v long stroke solenoid. I would mod the end to have a carbide point. I already have an extra wire ran to the z axis I can run 12v to. This way I do a tool change and ohmic touch off and fire the solenoid.

More
07 Jun 2020 23:56 #170546 by rodw
It might also be worth trying the Plasmac center spot tool because you can control how long the pulse is in milliseconds..

More
08 Jun 2020 00:07 #170549 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Center marking options.

Can you test this:

You forgot that Linuxcnc is multi- spindle so loading a tool containing the XY offsets in the normal way (from the tool file )then issuing a M3 $1 is all that is required. More details in the PLasmac user guide.

I did not forget, that is exactly what i meant, but my wording is just plain bad ! :blush:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
08 Jun 2020 04:46 #170579 by thefabricator03
The other more expensive option is to upgrade your machine to a 45xp that can mark using the torch and argon gas, www.hypertherm.com/learn/applications/marking/metal-marking/

Not the cheapest option but do able.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dvn4life1972

More
08 Jun 2020 22:44 #170717 by dvn4life1972
Just a quick thought...I know a guy here in my state that uses the drilling operation and then will use a annular cutter to "drill" the hole. The center pin lines up perfectly on the divot, and the annular cutter is outside of the hardened area immediately around the divot. May not be feasible if the holes are too small.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
08 Jun 2020 22:46 #170718 by thefabricator03

Just a quick thought...I know a guy here in my state that uses the drilling operation and then will use a annular cutter to "drill" the hole. The center pin lines up perfectly on the divot, and the annular cutter is outside of the hardened area immediately around the divot. May not be feasible if the holes are too small.

That is a pretty good idea, and I have used it successfully on larger holes but even some small 10mm holes. I think thats the smallest annular drill I have.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dvn4life1972

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds