Center marking options.

More
08 Jun 2020 22:54 #170720 by dvn4life1972

Just a quick thought...I know a guy here in my state that uses the drilling operation and then will use a annular cutter to "drill" the hole. The center pin lines up perfectly on the divot, and the annular cutter is outside of the hardened area immediately around the divot. May not be feasible if the holes are too small.

That is a pretty good idea, and I have used it successfully on larger holes but even some small 10mm holes. I think thats the smallest annular drill I have.

I had to do the imperial conversion to picture that in my head...that's a lot smaller than any cutters I have. I think my smallest is 1/2" (12.7mm). The concentricity is much better than a traditional helical drill bit as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jun 2020 00:04 #170728 by thefabricator03

I had to do the imperial conversion to picture that in my head...that's a lot smaller than any cutters I have. I think my smallest is 1/2" (12.7mm). The concentricity is much better than a traditional helical drill bit as well.

You are right, it was 12mm I used. My minds playing tricks on me,

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: dvn4life1972

More
09 Jun 2020 01:30 #170739 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Center marking options.

You are right, it was 12mm I used. My minds playing tricks on me,

Geez Stefan you think you could have at least flick the button to show imperial units for our US based friends!

I did do a google and found that you can get them as small as 8mm (315 thou)

The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03, dvn4life1972

More
09 Jun 2020 01:42 - 09 Jun 2020 01:42 #170741 by thefabricator03

Geez Stefan you think you could have at least flick the button to show imperial units for our US based friends!

I did do a google and found that you can get them as small as 8mm (315 thou)

Na its my way of trying to convert them to a better unit of measurement.

315 thou just does not compute with me like 8mm does.

This might be relevant,

Last edit: 09 Jun 2020 01:42 by thefabricator03.

More
09 Jun 2020 02:03 #170744 by rodw
Yes it was a long time letting go but banning inches from all measuring devices I have made life so much easier!
I've seen the video before but I'd really love to see a sequel where they calculate horsepower instead of kilo-watts! (kW).

That was the first exercise our engineering lecturer did back in 1978 and it sold everybody in the room on SI.

In fact I've been making a US engineer work in SI and I love it!

More
09 Jun 2020 02:17 #170749 by dvn4life1972
Boooo!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, rodw, thefabricator03

More
09 Jun 2020 11:12 #170813 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Center marking options.

Boooo!

LOL
That would be the best reply to inch/mm argument, as anything else will not help much in defending the inch side of things.
I can do inch pretty well, a bit better than those in the video, but still
nonpartisaneducation.org/Review/Essays/v3n3.htm
There was a report by some company Norway that i can not find, they had a full length video of that Chopper thingy at nearly 20 minutes, they just could not figure it out. In metric that takes about a single second.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03, dvn4life1972

More
09 Jun 2020 12:17 #170824 by dvn4life1972
It took me a second. I've been all over the world, and had to get used to the metric system. It is much easier mathematically to be sure. But imperial is kind of like an old friend that does something to annoy you from time to time. He's still you're buddy, so you put up with it :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, thefabricator03

More
09 Jun 2020 15:16 #170839 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Center marking options.
That is a very nice analogy ! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: dvn4life1972

More
10 Jun 2020 00:10 #170892 by rodw

It took me a second. I've been all over the world, and had to get used to the metric system. It is much easier mathematically to be sure. But imperial is kind of like an old friend that does something to annoy you from time to time. He's still you're buddy, so you put up with it :)

Until you start doing some engineering with it where its non intuitive and loose a spaceship.
I'm kind a partial to spaceships. I'd hate to loose mine over some annoying imperial annoyance!

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds