Dual purpose plasma / laser

More
22 Jun 2020 10:17 #172319 by Jintu
Hi guys,
Been stalking the forums for a bit, and decided its time to pull the trigger. I'm looking at doing a dual z axis plasma / CO2 laser combo. I am looking at doing a dual system as i like to work with both metal and wood. I want to build a decent table size (around 4x8), but alas, I don't have the room for 2 of them. I am looking at a RPi4 with a 7C80 RPI interfaced Step&dir plus I/O interface, along with a THCAD-10 High isolation A-D accessory. I have ordered my Hypertherm 85, and im considering going somewhere around a 150w CO2 laser. I haven't looked into the complexity or even if its viable to run a CO2 laser with linuxcnc. Just wanted to get and feedback, gut feels, etc. I have seen that there are a lot of very smart people on this forum, so anything / everything is appreciated.

Thanks guys.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2020 10:38 #172323 by tommylight
Lasers do run with LinuxCNC.
Having a plasma and a laser on the same machine is not advisable due to the fine dust produced by plasma cutting that will mess up the laser optic very quickly.
Covering up the optics before plasma use would do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03, Jintu

More
22 Jun 2020 10:47 #172324 by Jintu
Replied by Jintu on topic Dual purpose plasma / laser
I didnt even consider the dust. It will be a water bed that i can drain, but i understand that its still dusty. I will definitely cover them up.

More
22 Jun 2020 12:14 - 22 Jun 2020 12:15 #172329 by tommylight
In that case you have dirty vapour, so even harder to isolate, but still doable.
There are some issues when using LinuxCNC with a laser, but all are manageable and there are plenty of lasers using it.
Last edit: 22 Jun 2020 12:15 by tommylight. Reason: More info
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jintu

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds