hypertherm 900 internal thcad

More
09 Aug 2020 14:52 - 09 Aug 2020 14:54 #177753 by crowloy
wiring up my hypertherm and would like to check that I'm on the right track. I've hooked up my thcad-300 and a 5volt switching PS internally in the 900 mounting them up where the normal divider board and I believe the pilot-arc board would sit. I'm running 6 wires into the machine from the controller. 2 of them are hooked to J3, a 4 pin connector which has the torch switch connections on it. 2 wires will goto a reed switch which will be wrapped up in the "ground" lead. and 2 more will connect to the freq +/- on the thcad. Wiring of the high voltage to the thcad, is done with silicon wire. One end "ground", is connected just before the current sensor on the main board. This also could have been done on the bridge rectifier positive terminals. The other end is connected to the negative terminals on the bridge rectifier since I couldn't find another location. This is before the large choke going to the torch.

One issue I'm concerned about is HV leaking back into the thcad-300. I am certain my 900 does not have pilot-arc since the connector which would be used for it is bare. That would be J1 on the main cpu board.

Installation of the THCAD-300 and 5v PS

Ground clamp possible torch lead hookup

Torch lead hookup on bridge rectifier.

Here I show J1 which is disconnected, J3 which I used for torch control and a question on the shield for the high voltage side of the thcad300. Do I connect it to the chassis or leave it unconnected?
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Aug 2020 14:54 by crowloy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Aug 2020 15:25 #177757 by tommylight
My advice:
THCAD outside on the back of the plasma cutter in a plastic box, always.
High voltage wired to rectifier or to the filter board as some plasma's have a separate board for filtering and rectifier protection.
And i never needed to connect the shield to THCAD, but it would be OK to wire it to the plasma chassis and also check if that chassis is connected to ground.
From what you describe, everything seems ok.
Putting the THCAD inside the box is not advised as it will be inside a metal box with lots of interference and that interference will go back to the rest of electronics that the THCAD is wired to.
Testing procedure
-To test if you do have pilot start, just start the torch in mid air, if it starts sparking = it is a pilot start. If it needs to be dragged through metal to start, then it is not pilot start.
-Wire the THCAD high voltage side, not the low voltage, plug the plasma and start the torch several times in mid air and making some cuts. If the THCAD does not blow up/smoke/take off, everything is fine, move on to connecting the low voltage side to the rest of electronics.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03, dvn4life1972

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds